Windows Disk Protection on Domain-Joined Computers without windows update? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have read that we can use disk protection on a domain-joined computer if we use the option to get the updates. This way during the update the computer account is also updated.

But what if I don't want to get the updates applied to the computer. Is there any script that I can run to update the computer account on the domain controler?

I am working in a school and we have some labs that needs administrator rights. We wish to use Steady State version 2.5 to keep those computer clean.

Thanks,

Stephane
    Monday, November 30, 2009 6:43 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Stephane, if you do not want to install updates on the shared computers, you can choose "Do not use Windows SteadyState to download and install updates" under Schedule Software Updates. Meanwhile, I'd also like to inform you that we still recommend our users install antivirus software as Windows Disk Protection cannot replace antivirus program. Thank you.
    Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 7:03 AM
  • Thank you Sean,

I understand that I can disable the installation of windows updates.
    I have read that during the process of windows update the computer account is updated in the same time.
    But if I disable the windows update, will I loose the option to get my computer account updated in the active directory or is there any option or script to update the computer account? 

Stephane
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 4:59 PM
  • No, Stephane, I consider this function should not affect the user accounts in AD environment. You can check it's usage in AD in SteadyState handbook on page 57:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=F829BB8B-C7A9-426B-A7A4-2B504A6238D2&displaylang=en
    Sean Zhu - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Tuesday, December 8, 2009 3:23 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Stephane Gendron Wednesday, December 9, 2009 2:37 AM
    • Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Monday, December 14, 2009 3:34 AM
    Friday, December 4, 2009 3:21 AM
  • Lets read the page 58 of the SteadyState Handbook :
    How can I get my computer account password updated?
    Wednesday, December 9, 2009 2:44 AM
  • When Windows Disk Protection is enabled in SteadyState, system disables automatic password changes for the machine account.  Then, during the software update cycle, system updates the machine account password.  If Windows Disk Protection is disabled later, it enables automatic password changes again.

Hope the information helps.

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Thursday, December 10, 2009 2:39 AM