none
HELP! "missing mi.dll" when trying to install the agent. RRS feed

• Question

• I've installed DPM 2016 TP5 (waiting for the RTM) and tested elsewhere and had no problems.   I've done a new install on a remote site and gone to install the agent and I'm getting "missing mi.dll" error.

The server is a fairly lightly patched Windows Server 2008 R2 version.  Never had any problems with the agents before.

I'm quite desperate to make it work because it is one of the first real tests of DPM in our org.  Up 'till now I've been using Server 2012 R2 fully patched, and zero problems, but now I'm having to start testing agents on our existing servers and have hit a snag.  I don't want to re-rail the tests because that would mean DPM being rejected, and I see it as a good successor to our existing three other well-known backup products.

I've googles and found little relevant info on mi.dll and when I managed to get a copy of the dll I couldn't register it.

Check for disk errors on C: and there were none.  Has anyone seen this error and solved it?

Thursday, September 8, 2016 9:44 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Yes, the protected servers must have applicable version of Windows Management Framework installed before the DPM agent can be installed.

• Microsoft Management Framework 3.0 (N/A for Windows 2012 or 2016)
          WMF 3.0 can be downloaded from Windows Management Framework 3.0
    • Windows Management Framework 4.0
          redistributables are on the DPM 2016 installation media under the ReDist folder

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, October 17, 2016 6:39 PM

All replies

• That server is now fully patched, but I still get the same error. This seems like a major issue if you can't install the agent on a Windows 2008 R2 easily. I admit I've only tested these things on 2012 R2 up to now.   
    Thursday, September 8, 2016 12:23 PM
  • Ok, solved. RTFM ! You have to install Windows Management Foundation 4 on Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 for it to install.
    • Proposed as answer by dkmc360 Thursday, December 15, 2016 6:20 AM
    Thursday, September 8, 2016 9:24 PM
  • Hi, 

I had the same problem with MS Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 with RTM DPM 2016. After install Windows Management Framework 4.0 DPM agent was installed manually without any problem. 

Friday, October 14, 2016 9:02 PM
  • Hi,

Yes, the protected servers must have applicable version of Windows Management Framework installed before the DPM agent can be installed.

• Microsoft Management Framework 3.0 (N/A for Windows 2012 or 2016)
          WMF 3.0 can be downloaded from Windows Management Framework 3.0
    • Windows Management Framework 4.0
          redistributables are on the DPM 2016 installation media under the ReDist folder

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, October 17, 2016 6:39 PM
  • Thanks for posting this; I had the same problem as well and this fixed it. Would be great if the DPM 2016 documentation was updated to mention this manual step.
    • Edited by bcehr Monday, October 24, 2016 6:46 PM
    Monday, October 24, 2016 6:44 PM
  • Hi,

UPDATE: The online documentation has been updated to include the requirement.

See Preparing your environment for System Center 2016 Data Protection Manager 

Monday, October 24, 2016 8:01 PM
  • Thank you Jonathan, your post saved me from going crazy. I was performing an upgrade from 2012 R2 and the Microsoft upgrade instructions make no mention of this requirement. It's only if you perform a new installation that you get the info.
    Thursday, December 8, 2016 3:18 PM
  • I have installed the Windows Management Framework 4.0 on Two of my 2008R2 SP1 servers and still getting the same mi.dll missing error.
    Thursday, January 12, 2017 8:34 PM
  • Hi

Not sure why mi.dll is still missing, but copy it from another server that has it.  It's normally under c:\windows\system32 folder.

Thursday, January 12, 2017 9:26 PM
  • Hi

Not sure why mi.dll is still missing, but copy it from another server that has it.  It's normally under c:\windows\system32 folder.

This happened to me too. Strange that even after installing the required components, there are some missing files. My main issue was that it is getting more difficult each time to get a Windows Server 2008 R2 fully patched, so when I found one, I zipped the files to have them handy in case I need them later.

Jose Angel Rivera

Wednesday, February 22, 2017 5:53 AM
  • I am a bit disappointed that this is still an issue.  Having to manually copy a file over is unbelievable.  Seems to be isolated to W7SP1, 2008, and 2008 R2.  I just upgraded from 2012 R2 UR11 to 2016 over the weekend and spent a lot of time trying to figure out why I couldn't push the updated agent to a handful of servers\clients.

To get the agent installed.

1. Install WMF 3.0 or WMF 4.0 (Depending on OS)
    2. Install .NET Framework 4.5.2
    3. Check to see if mi.dll exists in C:\Windows\System32, copy in (v16406) if necessary
    4. Install VCREDIST2012
    5. Uninstall old DPM Agent
    6. Reboot the computer
    7. Install new DPM Agent
    8. CMD Attach to DPM Server

setdpmserver -dpmservername server_name.fqdm

9. Reboot

Uh, Microsoft.  This is really unacceptable.

Cameron

Wednesday, February 22, 2017 6:45 PM
  • Going down this same path...

On a (64bit win7, sp1) PC with all the steps Cameron took, at step 7 above, trying to install the agent, get an error about a missing api-ms-win-core-heap-l1-2-0.dll. "Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem."

Thursday, February 23, 2017 8:14 PM
  • I am a bit disappointed that this is still an issue.  Having to manually copy a file over is unbelievable.  Seems to be isolated to W7SP1, 2008, and 2008 R2.  I just upgraded from 2012 R2 UR11 to 2016 over the weekend and spent a lot of time trying to figure out why I couldn't push the updated agent to a handful of servers\clients.

To get the agent installed.

1. Install WMF 3.0 or WMF 4.0 (Depending on OS)
    2. Install .NET Framework 4.5.2
    3. Check to see if mi.dll exists in C:\Windows\System32, copy in (v16406) if necessary
    4. Install VCREDIST2012
    5. Uninstall old DPM Agent
    6. Reboot the computer
    7. Install new DPM Agent
    8. CMD Attach to DPM Server

setdpmserver -dpmservername redaes-bck-06.aes.astronics.com

9. Reboot

Uh, Microsoft.  This is really unacceptable.

Cameron

For me, I had to also copy "miutils.dll". Excellent troubleshooting! I hope MS fixes this sooner than later. Getting the agent deployed is a pain in the #$%^&

Jose Angel Rivera

Thursday, February 23, 2017 10:58 PM
  • It can be annoying, but I haven't had many issues with it once I started installing WMF 5.1.  When I was doing WMF 4 there were a few times the file was missing, so I just started rolling out WMF 5 which seemed to fix the issue, until WMF 5.1 came out.  My general update order is:

1. .Net 4.5.2 - reboot
    2. WMF 5.1 - reboot
    3. Install new agent and set the DPM server, then attach.  You don't have to uninstall it by hand unless you're trying to push it from the DPM server.  The DPMAgentInstaller exe auto uninstalls the old one.

The .Net requirement is because WMF updates require that to function properly.  On the bright side, you're upgrading your powershell version at the same time.

In cases where I couldn't update .Net for whatever reason (applications would freak out), I'd just roll out WMF 4 and then install WMF 5.  Powershell wouldn't be updated, but the file I needed would still be there.

• Edited by JN1226 Friday, February 24, 2017 10:15 PM
    Friday, February 24, 2017 10:13 PM
  • I agree, it is really bad job here M$
    Friday, March 3, 2017 6:18 PM
    • Proposed as answer by RafaelSCarv Friday, July 28, 2017 4:27 PM
    Friday, March 3, 2017 7:03 PM
  • Once I realized that .Net and .NetFramework were not the same thing, this answer worked perfectly.   Thanks! 
    Thursday, April 27, 2017 6:53 PM
  • I had the same error thrown by the agent setup while trying to install it on a Windows Server 2008 R2. It tells you that the program won't start because you're missing the api-ms-win-core-heap-l1-2-0 dll on your system.

It turned out to be same problem. Once I installed WMF 4.0VCREDIST2012 and rebooted the server, the installation succeeded. A reboot is really necessary, unfortunately. I usually have to manually copy the mi.dll from another server as well (a 2012 R2 server, for example).

Just to add to Cameron's great list above, I've found that:

• any .NET version greater or equal to 4.0 works;
    • you can install the DPM agent already pointing it to your server, eg.: DPMAgentInstaller_x64.exe MYDPM.domain.local 
    • and the last reboot is usually not needed (all you need to do is go to your DPM console and attach this recently installed agent).

Victor.

Tuesday, August 29, 2017 10:04 PM
  • Copying the missing dll to the system32 folder worked for me.  I had to copy the mi.dll and the miutils.dll to the system32 folder.  Once I did that I was able to install the DPM agent manually.

Thursday, June 27, 2019 9:55 PM