none
How to evidence for proper DNS operation by resolving internal & external hostname/ web site. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am an undergraduate. I need to have a way to show the evidence for proper DNS operation by resolving internal & external hostname/ web site for one of my assignments. And I am using Windows server 2012.

Thanks.

Monday, May 6, 2019 11:59 AM

Answers

• Hi,

You can use command nslookup to resolve the hostname/website, and check if the correct IP address is returned.

Please refer to the link below:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/29184.nslookup-for-beginners.aspx 

Best regards,

Travis

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by Pasindul Tuesday, May 7, 2019 5:04 AM
    Tuesday, May 7, 2019 2:01 AM
  • Hi,

run>cmd

enter nslookup, and it will return default DNS server.

• you can enter the hostname of your windows server 2012, and it should return the IP address. As long as there is an A record on the DNS, the hostname can be resolved.
    • For websites, you can enter www.google.com and it will return IP addresses of google.

Best regards,

Travis 

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by Pasindul Tuesday, May 7, 2019 4:40 PM
    Tuesday, May 7, 2019 8:10 AM

All replies

• Hi,

You can use command nslookup to resolve the hostname/website, and check if the correct IP address is returned.

Please refer to the link below:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/29184.nslookup-for-beginners.aspx 

Best regards,

Travis

• Marked as answer by Pasindul Tuesday, May 7, 2019 5:04 AM
    Tuesday, May 7, 2019 2:01 AM
  • Hi Travis,

Thank you very much for your answer. Can you please tell me what sort of a host name/website that I can use to show evidence when its resolving internal host name, and also what sort of host name that I can use to show evidence when its resolving external host name. I am running windows server 2012 in a VMware, And I have just configured the DNS zones/ forwarder and new PTR records.

Best Regards,

Pasindu.

Tuesday, May 7, 2019 5:17 AM
  • Hi,

run>cmd

enter nslookup, and it will return default DNS server.

• you can enter the hostname of your windows server 2012, and it should return the IP address. As long as there is an A record on the DNS, the hostname can be resolved.
    • For websites, you can enter www.google.com and it will return IP addresses of google.

Best regards,

Travis 

• Marked as answer by Pasindul Tuesday, May 7, 2019 4:40 PM
    Tuesday, May 7, 2019 8:10 AM