none
Question about OWA and remote users RRS feed

• Question

• I have no previous experience with Exchange (any version).  We are looking to move our email to an internal Exchange 2010 server.  I have a few questions I hope some one could help provide answers or guidance.

We have about 3 employees who work offsite on another company's network which does have Internet access.  Is it best, easiest for them to check their email using webmail type access to their Exchange mailbox?  Would it require any additional licenses for them to access it through this method other than the Standard CAL?  Also, in our network environment it looks like Exchange Device CALs would work better for us than Exchange User CALs.  If we utilized Exchange Device CALs, would that cover our employees who access their Exchange mailbox via webmail access?  Or would we have to use Exchange User CALs?

Thanks!

Friday, October 28, 2011 8:04 PM

Answers

• The remote users can use OWA or Outlook Anywhere.

As for CAL questions, I recommned you contact your licensing rep. No one here can answer that authoratively.

• Marked as answer by the sasquatch Friday, October 28, 2011 9:06 PM
    Friday, October 28, 2011 8:33 PM
  • Nope. The only decision for purchasing Enterprise versus Standard Exchange is how many databases you need.

Standard is 5 max, including a public folder store if required.

The CALs are independent of the server edition.

Friday, October 28, 2011 9:03 PM

All replies

• The remote users can use OWA or Outlook Anywhere.

As for CAL questions, I recommned you contact your licensing rep. No one here can answer that authoratively.

Friday, October 28, 2011 8:33 PM
  • Thanks for your reply!  Much appreciated!

I think I found an answer on another document I found searching the Internet where someone posted a comment on the article stating if you have remote users accessing Exchange remotely that you have to use User CALs - NOT Device CALs - makes sense to me.  Remote access users would be accessing Exchange from any number of devices - i.e. need User CALs.

One more question, since we would have internal Exchange users and external Exchange users will it matter which version of Exchange I purchase, i.e. Exchange Standard or Exchange Enterprise?

Friday, October 28, 2011 8:56 PM
  • Nope. The only decision for purchasing Enterprise versus Standard Exchange is how many databases you need.

Standard is 5 max, including a public folder store if required.

The CALs are independent of the server edition.

Friday, October 28, 2011 9:03 PM
  • Thanks much!
    Friday, October 28, 2011 9:07 PM