none
Subfolder was wiped out RRS feed

• Question

• I created a shared folder (\\<hostname>\Data2\Esri\gtg-resources\) on server A (Windows Server 2008).  I saved some XML files to the subfolder via servers B & C (Windows Server 2019).  Unfortunately, all of the XML files are missing.  The subfolder (gtg-resources) is empty.   I logged back onto servers B & C, I could see that records of files in that directory in the “Recent files” shortcut within Windows Explorer.  The other subfolders in \\<hostname>\Data2\Esri\ have nothing wrong.  I also checked recycle bin on server A, and it's empty.  Shadow Copies function is not enabled and there are no previous versions available on Server A.  IT nightly backups show empty folder as well.  

I was puzzled why files in the subfolder are missing?  How do I know what happened with the files? Can someone tell me what probably happened to the subfolder?  Is there any way to get them back if they were deleted accidentally?

Many thanks!

Charles
    Saturday, January 18, 2020 9:26 PM

All replies

• Hi ,

>>  Unfortunately, all of the XML files are missing.

Before the issue happened, did you do any operations?  Have you tried to save some other files via B&C again to do a check?  Did the issue occur again? Did you use other file format to do a test?

In addition, check the option that display all hidden or protected operating system files and folders.

>> I could see that records of files in that directory in the “Recent files” shortcut within Windows Explorer. 

Could you open these file directly from "recent files"?

Best Regards,

Candy

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com   

Monday, January 20, 2020 6:31 AM
  • Hi,

Unfortunately if you have no Shadow Copies enabled, and you don't see the files in your backups there's no way of getting them back.

If you do see the files in Recent files, try copying them manually to the folder ("\\hostname>\Data2\Esri\gtg-resources"), you can also try by first copying the files to another folder just so check that the files actually get copied, then copy the to their correct destination.

By the way, how are you copying the files? By using the File Explorer?

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

Monday, January 20, 2020 8:14 AM
  • Hi ,

Just want to confirm the current situations.

Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.                   

Best Regards,

Candy

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com   

Wednesday, January 22, 2020 3:40 AM
  • Hi Charles,

Did you have any updates on this issue?

Best Regards,

Candy

Friday, January 24, 2020 5:59 AM