Can SharePoint reduce the size of a picture when it is uploaded to a site? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I was wondering if there is a way to force the size of a picture to be reduced when it is uploaded to a SharePoint site?

The problem we have at the moment is that we have a department that are emailing each other with picture attachments. The majority of these emails are 5MB+ with some going as high as 14MB. These emails are then sent to maybe up 20 different people. So of you do the maths that could possibly be 280MB worth of emails being sent over the network which will in turn clog up the network for everyone else.

With SharePoint now installed I want them to upload the pictures once to a picture library on their SharePoint site and then an alert can be sent around to all concerned notifying them that there are new photos to be viewed.

However I would like to have SharePoint reduce the size of the photos as they are uploaded, i.e. change them from being 14MB to something more respectable like 140KB. An example of what I'm talking about is when you right click on a photo in Windows Explorer and then click Send to -> Mail Recipient. It gives you the option there to reduce the size of the photo. Even this method would do if there is anything like that in SharePoint.

Can someone please give me some advice on how to make SharePoint help this ridulus photo sending a better experience for our IT department.

Regards

Stephen

Thursday, April 26, 2012 9:56 AM

Answers