none
Thin provisioning optimization? RRS feed

• Question

• Here's my problem... I'm presenting my DPM server with a thin provisioned iSCSI volume.  My san vendor also requires a small tool on the server to periodically recover whitespace from ntfs thin provisioned volumes.  However this tool will not work with dynamic disks.

I have even gone so far as to move some of my DPM replica disks to custom regular disks just so I can use whitespace recovery.  I also am having to periodically use the datamigrate powershell script to move all my data to a new iscsi volume just to "free up" that whitespace in my SAN.  Over a period of about a year my SAN is showing almost 60% of the DPM disk as being whitespace I could recover.

Will there ever be any optimizations in DPM to help out with this?  Maybe non dynamic disks or some way of not making so much whitespace? 

Wednesday, May 11, 2011 7:34 PM

Answers

• Hi,

<snip>
    Will there ever be any optimizations in DPM to help out with this?  Maybe non dynamic disks or some way of not making so much whitespace? 
    >snip<

As noted, the use of custom volumes is the workaround, or work with SAN vendor to have their utility work with dynamic disks.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, May 18, 2011 5:41 PM

All replies