WSUS keeps crashing after KB3159706 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I still have problems with my WSUS server running on Windows Server 2012 R2.

KB3148812 broke my WSUS, like everyone, so I waited for KB3159706 to be released.

After installing KB3159706 and doing the manual steps, my WSUS seemed to work fine at first sight, but in fact it's not...

Without doing anything particular, the WSUS seems to crash randomly 2/3 times per day : when it happens I can't connect to the WSUS console, and the clients can't reach the WSUS server to get updates, that's really annoying...

The only thing I can do is reboot the Windows Server to get the WSUS back, but you understand that I can't do that every 4 hours...

Wednesday, May 11, 2016 7:47 AM

Answers

• Hi 153ht,

Check if common WSUS maintenance could help: Run server cleanup wizard and reindex WSUS database:

Reindex WSUS database:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd939795(v=ws.10).aspx

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by 153ht Tuesday, May 17, 2016 7:44 AM
    Friday, May 13, 2016 6:40 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Except WSUS is there any Roles are installed on the server. If Yes, then please specify the roles description.

Thanks,

Prasad S

Wednesday, May 11, 2016 8:04 AM
  • We are seeing the same although its every few hours. a IISRESET fixes it so no need to fully restart the server.  This server is dedicated to WSUS, it does have the file server role installed but is not serving files to anyone, we use it just for FSRM.

Its logging a 7032 application event when it stops working:

The WSUS administration console was unable to connect to the WSUS Server via the remote API.

Verify that the Update Services service, IIS and SQL are running on the server. If the problem persists, try restarting IIS, SQL, and the Update Services Service.

System.Net.WebException -- The operation has timed out

Source

System.Web.Services

Stack Trace:

at System.Web.Services.Protocols.WebClientProtocol.GetWebResponse(WebRequest request)

at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.DatabaseAccess.ApiRemotingCompressionProxy.GetWebResponse(WebRequest webRequest)

at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters)

at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.ApiRemoting.ExecuteSPGetUpdateServerStatus(Int32 updateSources, Boolean includeDownstreamComputers, String updateScopeXml, String computerTargetScopeXml, String preferredCulture, Int32 publicationState, Int32 propertiesToGet)

at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.DatabaseAccess.AdminDataAccessProxy.ExecuteSPGetUpdateServerStatus(UpdateSources updateSources, Boolean includeDownstreamComputers, String updateScopeXml, String computerTargetScopeXml, String preferredCulture, ExtendedPublicationState publicationState, UpdateServerStatusPropertiesToGet propertiesToGet)

at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.BaseApi.UpdateServer.GetStatus(UpdateSources updateSources, Boolean includeDownstreamComputers, UpdateScope updatesToInclude, ComputerTargetScope computersToInclude, UpdateServerStatusPropertiesToGet propertiesToGet)

at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.BaseApi.UpdateServer.GetReplicaStatus(UpdateSources updateSources)

at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.AdminApiAccess.CachedObject.RefreshCache()

at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.AdminApiAccess.CachedObject.GetFromCache()

at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.SnapIn.Pages.ServerSummaryPage.backgroundWorker_DoWork(Object sender, DoWorkEventArgs e)

Wednesday, May 11, 2016 9:18 AM
  • Hi 153ht,

Check if common WSUS maintenance could help: Run server cleanup wizard and reindex WSUS database:

Reindex WSUS database:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd939795(v=ws.10).aspx

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by 153ht Tuesday, May 17, 2016 7:44 AM
    Friday, May 13, 2016 6:40 AM
  • Okay, I tried to do the cleanup and the reindex, I'll see if it helps.
    Friday, May 13, 2016 9:19 AM
  • Hi 153ht,

What is result of WSUS maintenance? Could it work?

Best Regards,

Anne

Monday, May 16, 2016 8:17 AM
  • I am seeing this behaviour as well on a freshly installed WSUS server.

Other server roles include Hyper-V

Monday, May 16, 2016 11:25 PM
  • Hi Anne,

It seems to work, the WSUS didn't crash since the maintenance :)

Thanks for your help.

• Edited by 153ht Tuesday, May 17, 2016 7:43 AM
    Tuesday, May 17, 2016 7:43 AM
  • Hi 153ht,

It's quite glad to hear that!

Best Regards,

Anne

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 7:47 AM
  • Greetings

I am installing my WSUS in windows server 2012 R2 fully updated and SQL 2014 Standard edition fully updated also. hardware specs in dual processor and 16 GB of ram. it handle only wsus no other role installed in this server, and by the freshly installed both windows and sql. after enabling wsus role in the server I got the famous update which is KB3159706 so it crash my wsus for I searched the internet and I found I need to do so manual step to it so I did the post installation and it is successfully done and also I enabled the Http activation and I am not using SSL so I only took the ownership of the file but I didn't edit it. it worked fine for few hours but then it crashed suddenly and iisreset command was solving the issue but for few hours and then it crash again, by the way I did reindexing for the database and it didn't solve the problem. the only thing that solve the problem is to uninstall the KB 3159706 update. but my question is there a way to install the update and make WSUS working correctly did anybody figure out how to do so.

thanks in advance

Hossam

Wednesday, May 25, 2016 7:24 AM
  • I have the same problem, but only using SQL Server Std. 2012 SP2 with WinSrv 2012 R2 Std. Maintance doesn't help at all, only uninstalling KB3159706 does.
    Wednesday, May 25, 2016 9:44 AM
  • Excuse me but that way didb't help in my case at all. I tried the maintance and reindex database and KB3159706 keeps crushing WSUS service.
    Monday, June 6, 2016 9:23 AM
  • I am having the same issue. I have 3 2012 R2 servers 1 Up, 2 downstream boxes all running SCCM 2012. All of them are fine until the update is applied. I can't access the WSUS console even after the WSUS service is re(started). This is obviously a flaw in this update.
    • Proposed as answer by Master-DXT Tuesday, July 12, 2016 7:29 AM
    Friday, July 8, 2016 2:45 PM
  • Same here! A freshly Windows 2012 R2 installation with every single update. After applying the so called “fix KB3159706” my Wsus seems to suffer a great deal. Uninstalling the update seems to work!

Microsoft, you should make fixes, not breaking things down. 

Tuesday, July 12, 2016 7:26 AM
  • I found the solution here:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/59ad21be-7514-46df-adf3-fdf6ec15e132/wsus-breaks-after-kb3159706-released-552016?forum=winserverwsus

It really helped

Thursday, July 14, 2016 2:17 PM
  • Try this:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/59ad21be-7514-46df-adf3-fdf6ec15e132/wsus-breaks-after-kb3159706-released-552016?forum=winserverwsus

That works.

Thursday, July 14, 2016 2:17 PM
  • IT DID WORK! I had to expand the CLI switch to include the SQL instance locations, but my SCCM/WSUS servers are now fully patched, and deploying updates again!

Thank you!

Tuesday, August 2, 2016 6:35 PM
  • Uninstalling KB3159706 is not a great solution as Windows 10 Anniversary Update requires this for deployment through WSUS. Without KB3159706, you cannot deploy Windows 10.

As for HTTP Activation, my server was already configured that way, so this fix did not work for me. Can't believe this issue has plagued people for so long without a proper patch from Microsoft.

Friday, September 2, 2016 1:12 PM
  • All that needs to be done is to remove the WSUS Administration site on IIS Manager and that's it!
    Thursday, March 30, 2017 2:29 PM