none
Disabling AutoDiscover in Client PC

Question

• How to disable AutoDiscover process on Outlook 2007 client when they first time open Outlook 2007, so user have to manually setting their email account instead of AutoDiscover process do it.
    Because in our organization, we want to make Branch Users (users outside HeadOffice) set their email account using POP3, but the users in HeadOffice still use Exchange settings (so, we still need Outlook AutoDiscover for HeadOffice Users), so, what I had in mind is how to set every Branch Users PC so that every new users log on to that PC and open Outlook 2007, they have to set their email account manually, is there any registry value that I should change in every Branch Users PC, or something like that?
    Thanks
    Wednesday, April 19, 2017 7:58 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Generally, we can use the registry key or Group Policy to disable the Autodiscover connection method for Outlook client. For example, we can create the following registry keys as the subkey for HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Outlook\AutoDiscover

PreferLocalXML

• ExcludeHttpRedirect
    • ExcludeHttpsAutoDiscoverDomain
    • ExcludeHttpsRootDomain
    • ExcludeScpLookup
    • ExcludeSrvRecord

Set the key value to 1 to enable them. For more information about these keys, please read: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2212902/unexpected-autodiscover-behavior-when-you-have-registry-settings-under-the-autodiscover-key

In your scenario, you are looking for a way to block the autodiscover service for external users who are not working within the domain. If that is the case, I think we can consider to do some configuration in Exchange side to block the external Autodiscover service connection. Only allow the internal domain users connect to Autodiscover service with the SCP lookup. If you are using Exchange 2010, we can disable the Outlook Anywhere service.

Regards,

Winnie Liang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 20, 2017 5:38 AM