sharepoint list mapping RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am getting started with sharepoint lists. Could someone point me towards some documentation that might help me perform the following:

map tasks to persons. Read a column with tasks and based on what is entered, output a corresponding name into the other column. 

column A "task": mop, sweep, or trash,

column B "name": if column A = mop output "Jimmy", if column A = sweep output "Ryan", if column A = trash output "Rick"

I already have the sharepoint list created but have been manually assigning a person to each task, even though they are externally pre-defined. Does this require a formula or a function in each cell ? Or can a mapping be configured elsewhere, then I just reference that in the "name" column  ?

Wednesday, July 15, 2020 9:27 PM

All replies

• Hi John_993,

Whether the column B is “Person” type?

We could use flow to update column B based on column A automatically as shown below:

Result:

If it is not feasible for you, please feel free to reply.

This “Microsoft Online: SharePoint Online” Forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A, please refer to this sticky post for more details.

Best regards,

Julie

"SharePoint" forums will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A !
    We invite you to post new questions in the "SharePoint" forums' new home on Microsoft Q&A !

Thursday, July 16, 2020 9:22 AM
  • Hi, 

This seems very helpful. However, I am very new to sharepoint and all I have is a list with columns. I am not sure how to start this workflow in your screenshots. I assume I need to use one of the options under the list tab (next to items tab) ? 

Do I need to use column validation in column settings ? Looks like it allows some formulas in there.
    • Edited by John_993 Thursday, July 16, 2020 9:28 PM
    Thursday, July 16, 2020 9:13 PM
  • Hi John_993,

Column validation doesn't apply to this situation.

Examples of column validation for your reference:

https://www.spguides.com/sharepoint-online-list-column-validation-examples/

For your requirement, please refer to following steps:

Step 1: Go to create a flow page and type in flow name and choose flow's trigger:

Step2:Choose the Site Address and list name that you want the flow work on:

Then follow the steps on the picture mentioned in the first reply.

This “Microsoft Online: SharePoint Online” Forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A, please refer to this sticky post for more details.

Best regards,

Julie

We invite you to post new questions in the "SharePoint" forums' new home on Microsoft Q&A !

Friday, July 17, 2020 9:05 AM
  • Hi John_993,

If you find any reply helpful to you, please remember to mark it as answer.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Julie

Thursday, July 23, 2020 1:10 AM
  • Hi John_993,

If you find any replies helpful to you, please remember to mark them as answers.

It will help others who meet the similar question in this forum.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Julie

Monday, July 27, 2020 1:48 AM