Upgrade from Vista Business to Ultimate lost the audio device RRS feed

• Question

• Brand new Dell Dimension with Vista Business pre-installed.  Sigmatel STAC92XX C-Major HD Audio Driver Rev: A01.  Everything worked fine.  Had to upgrade to Ultimate.  (I needed Parental Controls).  Sound card is detected but Windows Sounds is unaware of it.  Just like everybody else in this thread, it says 'No audio devices are installed'.

I re-installed the Sigmatel driver from the Dell Resource CD - no good.  Installed the KB929685 as noted below - no help.

Microsoft, you have a problem here!  Let's get on it. 

Saturday, March 3, 2007 1:36 AM

All replies

• I also have same issue. Even after applying windows update patch, reinstalling the driver which came with the laptop, putting computer in sleep and re-installing automatically did not help.

Please please...help.

Saturday, March 10, 2007 7:30 PM
  • i had a problem on a new HP with Vista pre=installed.  my audio stopped working after the required Vista upgrade on 3/18/07.  i searched the knowledge base and found a link to realtek audio drivers.  in spite of device manager saying that my Realtec drivers were fine, i downloaded the new driver from the link:

www.realtek.com.tw/downloads site. 

this fixed my problem.  i can't say if it will fix it for you.

good luck.

Wednesday, March 21, 2007 5:25 AM
  • I had the same problem.  And actually AS I was writing this - I got it to work....

I think I "tricked" it into working....

Dell precision M90

SigmaTel integreated HD Audio.

Factory installed with Vista Business  (audio worked fine) - Upgraded to Vista Ultimate (audio didn't work)

I'll include all of the details of what I did below... But in a simplified form, you should be able to do this to get it to work. 

1. Go to Control Panel > Device Manager
    2. Expand the "Sound, Video and game controllers" item.
    3. Right click on "SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC"
    4. Click on "Properties". Click on the "Driver" tab.
    5. Click "Uninstall" - Click ok to any warnings, etc.
    6. (read number 7 before doing number 6). Now right click anywhere in the "Device Manager" window and select "Scan for Hardware Changes"
    7. The timing of this is important. Allow it to find the new audio device (which shouldn't take but a second). It'll then start scanning some "common" microsoft folder for the driver. You may see a quick notification come from the system tray. Click on that to open the driver scan window. cancel the driver scan. Make sure to do this as quick as possible, as you do not want it to find the driver that Microsoft wants to install. It won't work, but will think it does work... so it will just stay in a BS state of oblivion.
    8. Now you should see the "Sound Video and game controllers" section again. It will be a generic Windows Driver. For me it wasn't working quite yet... but It may work at this point for others...
    9.  Right click on the audio device that's listed under "Sound Video and Game Controllers". Select Properties
    10. Click on the Driver tab.
    11. Click "Update Driver"
    12. Select Browse for driver software on your computer.
    13. Install a random driver. Make sure it is not the one that Windows wants. I used http://downloadmirror.intel.com/df-support/12192/eng/AUD_ALLVISTA_6.10.5290_PV_IDT.EXE and extracted the files to a folder on my D drive. Then I selected this folder when "Browsing for a driver". My theory is that it just needs to be a driver different from the one that Microsoft thinks it should be using.  So you could technically install a print driver if you wanted to.
    14. Now here's the key if it didn't work on  number 8. Go back to Device Manager, right click on the sound driver, and select properties.  Go back to the Drivers tab, and select "Roll Back".
    15. It will roll back to the Microsoft Generic sound driver and it will work. (I'm guessing becuase it's not associated with you stopping the scan for a driver this time around.

One step further... We had a similar problem with my companies Toshiba "does everything under the sun" printer. And in that case we were actually able to apply the correct driver once we tricked Vista into not freaking out over the driver that's supposed to work. So I gave this a try (apprehensivly enough... as the system beep is enough to give you a heart attack every time it beeps). And It actually let me apply the correct driver this time (manually). I can't verify that it's working yet though, because it want's me to restart, and i'm still typing this.  I'll report back once I restart later... I'm going to actually try and get some work down right now though... This issue has already taken up too much of my time as is.

I wish I had the process narrowed down a little more... but I don't want to go and undo something that's working... Especially with Vista, I've learned to leave well enough alone.

But in case this doesn't work for someone else... and maybe something that I thought didn't matter actually did,  I'm going to supply the ACTUAL steps I used in their entirity to get it to work... that's below.

1. automatic update - "Your driver is already up to date"
    2. manual update - "Your driver is already up to date"
    3. Uninstall device - manually load driver downloaded dell site  - It updated the driver (not sure if it ACTUALLY did) - same problem.
    4. I've downloaded about 3 different versions of the 5.10.0.5290 driver just to make sure there wasn't a driver corruption from microsoft issue.  Tried the first one and it didn't work. so I "Rolled Back" the driver. It rolled it back to a revision number 4xxx driver. (probably the one that shipped with Vista) - This time I actaully saw "Speakers" in the "Playback Devices" list and I disabled all enhancments (suggested on a dell support forum). And then the speakers dissapeared and back to the same errors and problems.
    5. Downloaded a last option which was from a file called "AUD_ALLVISTA_6.10.5290_PV_IDT.exe, which was a self extracting zip - http://downloadmirror.intel.com/df-support/12192/eng/AUD_ALLVISTA_6.10.5290_PV_IDT.EXE
    6. Manually uninstalled the current driver and reinstalled the new driver from the AUD_ALLVISTA download after extracting. This driver didn't work either. However it was different in that the version number was 5.10.5290.0 instead of 5.10.0.5290. Essentially the same "release", but versioned differently. With installing this driver I got a different error message when viewing the device properties. (Which now had a warning triange on it The message had something to do with "could not load the software for this device", which was actually refressing instead of just being told that my "device was working properly." When obviously it wasn't.
    7. Since this wasn't working either. I decided I would try the "Roll Back" one more time.  Which Supprisingly enough... worked (for the most part anyways)
    8. It actually rolled it back to a "generic" type driver that is labeling my device now as a "High Definition Audio Device" instead of the "Sigma Tel" CODEC it was labeling it as before. But I'll take it! The Driver version is 6.0.6000.16386 and looks to be a standard Microsoft Driver. I don't hook up any type of "High Def" Audio, so I can't verify quality.  All I know is that I don't get system beeps anymore, which scare me half to death any time it beeps, and I can listen to audio again. I'm happy. And It'll work until this Sigma Tel driver issue is fixed.

My theory on how this worked was that when I Manually Uninstalled the SigmaTel Driver, and then searched for new hardware I didn't want it to find a driver for my audio device, since when it did find the driver, it installed the version that wasn't working even though it thought it was. So it had started to find the driver, but didn't let it finish because I cancelled it as quick as I could.  So It was registered initially with the "High Definition Audio Device" generic driver... Which actually didn't work in just that state, because I guess I cancelled it trying to find the driver and it was mad about it. (yeah, my computer gets mad at me). It wasn't until I installed that 5.10.5290.0 AUD_ALLVISTA driver (which didn't work, but was different enough from the one Vista thought it should be using so it tried to use it) and then when I rolled back it was okay just using the generic Microsoft driver because it wasn't associated with me stopping the search for the driver.

Thursday, April 12, 2007 7:19 PM
  • Update....

My "One step further" didn't work, and more so, I can't recreate what happened before.

But what I did discover is that the driver that was working was the

"Microsoft Universal Audio Architecture (UAA) Bus Driver"

So I decided to go to the source and use the driver that worked

Crazy enough, this "Universal Driver" is not the easiest thing in the world to find...

The only place I could find it available from Microsoft was in a hotfix that was only available for Server 2k and XP machines.

And in an installsheild installer from HP...

The installer will not associate it with my audio device because it likes to think it's a Sigma Tel. And won't be told otherwise.

So...

The search continutes...

And I learn yet again... That I should have left well enought alone! 

Thursday, April 12, 2007 8:37 PM
  • k, same problem~ but i have fixed this after hours of messing with it!

steps i took that worked:

1: go to your device manager

2. do as so many strings say and uninstall your drivers for you realtek sound device, BUT, check the box that also deletes the drivers from your hard drive!

3. Restart and what you want to look for is in your device manager, under sound, it will be a generic high definition driver. this should fix your problem! if not you need to delete all realtek drivers manually and select the generic Vista High Def.. drivers manually. These drivers made my pc find that i had my Hidef C realtek onboard sound card. may not have all functions, but i have not noticed a difference except,,,,, I HAVE SOUND!

Hope this helped...

TrAnCe29

Friday, April 20, 2007 10:15 AM
  • Thanks to all the post I got my audio working.  I own a Sony Vaio laptop and also upgraded from the Home Premium Edition to Ultimate and out went the audio.  I continued to uninstall , restart, then install, and finally worked.  If anyone has this problem, just don't give up; it took more than once for the audio to kick and remember when uninstalled from the device manager the audio make sure to check mark the box so the audio can be completely deleted, then reinstall.  Thanks for all the help!
    Saturday, April 21, 2007 11:11 PM
  • Thanks for the post, it worked for me!  I was pretty close, I just didn't have the timing thing down.  Then I read your post and it worked just fine.

Thanksa again!

Sunday, May 6, 2007 7:26 PM
  • Absolutly!  I'm so happy with my Generic High Definition Audio :-)
    Monday, May 7, 2007 7:26 PM
  • Thanks Amanda for the above advice!

1. Go to Control Panel > Device Manager
    2. Expand the "Sound, Video and game controllers" item.
    3. Right click on "SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC"
    4. Click on "Properties". Click on the "Driver" tab.
    5. Click "Uninstall" - Click ok to any warnings, etc.
    6. (read number 7 before doing number 6). Now right click anywhere in the "Device Manager" window and select "Scan for Hardware Changes"
    7. The timing of this is important. Allow it to find the new audio device (which shouldn't take but a second). It'll then start scanning some "common" microsoft folder for the driver. You may see a quick notification come from the system tray. Click on that to open the driver scan window. cancel the driver scan. Make sure to do this as quick as possible, as you do not want it to find the driver that Microsoft wants to install. It won't work, but will think it does work... so it will just stay in a BS state of oblivion.
    8. Now you should see the "Sound Video and game controllers" section again. It will be a generic Windows Driver. For me it wasn't working quite yet... but It may work at this point for others...
    9.  Right click on the audio device that's listed under "Sound Video and Game Controllers". Select Properties
    10. Click on the Driver tab.

I have been trying to get my audio to work for weeks and had just about given up hope!

I upgraded my new Sony Vaio AR38G from Vista Home Premium to Vista Ultimate. Upon doing so my SigmaTel High Definition Audio Codec no longer worked. I tried uninstalling the driver and reinstalling it etc, but nothing worked. After reading Amanda's above advice, I tried it and at first it did not work, but then I tried it a second time and after closing the search for the audio device driver quickly, I then double-clicked the High Definition Audio Driver that had appeared in the device driver window before it changed back to the SigmaTel High Definition Audio Codec, and then left it open for a while until the OS had stopped searching (about 10 s minimum). It then WORKED! Finally! Thank you! I must also add that the new driver seems to allow a louder volume from the speakers than the old SigmaTel HD Audio Driver did.

Friday, May 18, 2007 8:45 AM
  • Did you "uninstall" the corrupted driver before trying to download the new one?  I found that was what I was doing wrong on my Gateway.  Gateway.com was most helpful and told me to first do the uninstall step, the the download.
    Thursday, February 14, 2008 2:58 PM
  • Try "uninstalling" the corrupted driver before doing a download of new driver.
    Thursday, February 14, 2008 2:59 PM