Cannot Activate Windows RRS feed

• Question

• HI,

Here's how it is:  Early last year I purchased Vista through the Digital Locker Download system on the Microsoft website, and installed it to my home computer.  A while later, because of compatibility issues, I "downgraded" my computer back to XP.  Two months ago I upgraded my computer hardware (motherboard, video, sound, etc., and cloned my old hard drive onto a new one (same copy of XP)). 

I recently decided to install Vista again because I no longer had the compatibility issues I used to have.  Here's where the problem comes in.  Vista is not allowing me to activate itself, saying the Product Key I have is already in use.  The Microsoft website also says that the Product ID number shown in the System Properties of My Computer is expired.

I know why the activation isn't working (that's fairly obvious, since this is the second time I'm installing VIsta, and it's on a basically new computer, though my hard drive has the same old information on it from my previous computer).  Vista apparently seems to think I'm trying to install it on more than one computer, which is not the case.

I have no idea what to do next.  My License Key and Product ID numbers are both legit.  It's just confused because of my downgrading to XP and upgrading my hardware.

Does anyone know what I should do to get a License/Product Key/ID that will be acceptible for activation?

Thanks in advance for any help!

PS   I should mention too that I tried the over-the-phone method of reactivating Vista, but it didn't work, sending my call to someone who eventually hung up on me. 

Sunday, January 13, 2008 7:38 PM

Answers

• You can reset your Windows Vista activation by performing the following:

1. Click on the Start button and in the Start Search box type in:  slui.exe 4

2. Press the Enter key on your keyboard.

3. Select your Country.

4. Follow the instructions for phone activation.

5.  Once completed, restart your computer.

Sunday, January 13, 2008 7:54 PM

All replies

• You can reset your Windows Vista activation by performing the following:

1. Click on the Start button and in the Start Search box type in:  slui.exe 4

2. Press the Enter key on your keyboard.

3. Select your Country.

4. Follow the instructions for phone activation.

5.  Once completed, restart your computer.

Sunday, January 13, 2008 7:54 PM
  • Thanks!  Got it all straightened out.
    Sunday, January 13, 2008 8:43 PM