none
Win7 user is unable to see folders when using FQDN, if the user try to use netBIOS name works fine RRS feed

• Question

• recently, a user complained about loosing access to some folders on a a FileServer

user access was ok, and, at some point in time, the folders and files were missing

Other users are OK, Windows 10, Windows 7, this particular machine is the only  windows7 (i suppose) 32-bits PC left in the company and some WEEKs ago we changed some policies regarding LM protocol, forbiding it use, in GPOs for servers and clients, avoiding the use of LM (not NTLM) protocol on SAM databases and network conenctions

If i map the drive letter, folder is empty

if i create a shortcut, folder is empty

and

if I type \\UNC\share.. on Windows Exploer.. it works! user can see fles, folders

Users MUST see by using drive letters, because of several MS Excel linked files tied to the drive letter

What i did:

1) deleted sofwtare\currenteversion\windows mountPoints2 regkey to avoid ghost drive letters

2) killed explorer.exe, logoff/logon, reboot

3) mapped letter using CMD/net use and windows explorer too, nothing...

this particular user is working on a HomeOffice basis, via VPN, like several other users, and other users re working with no problem, only this particular user is having problems

Now the weirdest part:

if i map the user using \\NETBIOSNAME\SHARE it works

If i map using \\NETBIOSNAME.MyADDmainSuffix\SHARE       .. it doesn´t work!

This is very weird, because using the full FQDN (perfectly DNS-resolvable) it doens´t work, but using the simple NetBIOS (short) name it works...

the server names has 9 letters - SRV-ABC99 and the FQDN has 18 positions SRV-ABC99.local.net, but it´s not suppose to happen, ebcause I have a proper DNS infrastructure and also a WINS infrastructure and the DNS is accessible 

• Edited by KayZerSoze Friday, January 24, 2020 6:35 PM typo
    Friday, January 24, 2020 6:11 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for posting here!

Before going further , i would like to confirm that, can the user be able to access the share when logon to other clients or just on the specific win7 client?

If possible, would you please share the screenshot of the error message?Tip: If private information is involved in the screenshot, it is recommended to blur sensitive information.

Here are some common advice for you:

Run the command line ipconfig /flushdns to clear DNS cache on the client.
    ping fileserver with FQDN on the client .
    Try to access shared folder with FQDN .In additional, you could run the command line C:\>net view \\<File server’s FQDN> on cmd of win7 client . 

Then if there are still no clues,i would recommend you enable the file system audit and check if there are any events logged.

If i have any misunderstanding , please let me know.
    Best Regards,
    Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, January 27, 2020 7:00 AM
  • Hi,

Just want to confirm the current situations.

Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.

Best Regards,

Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, January 29, 2020 1:41 AM
  • Hi,

As this thread has been quiet for a while,

If this question has any update?

If you have any questions or concerns about it, please don't hesitate to let us know.

Again thanks for your time and have a nice day!

Fan

Friday, January 31, 2020 8:51 AM