Group Policy for IE in Server 2003 RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a way to create a GP to not show the address bar and remove the Open option under the file menu?
    Tuesday, June 2, 2009 4:57 PM

Answers

• Hello Scott,

Yes, but you may have to make a custom .adm file for what you need to accomplish. You can download the administrative templates for IE 7 here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=11ab3e81-6462-4fda-8ee5-fcb8264c44b1&displaylang=en

This example below will disable the address bar:

CLASS MACHINE
    CATEGORY "Windows Components"
       CATEGORY "Internet Explorer"
          CATEGORY "Toolbars"
             KEYNAME "Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbars\Restrictions\"
        POLICY "Disable IE Address Bar"
            #if version >= 4
                SUPPORTED "Windows XP"
            #endif
            EXPLAIN "Turn of the address bar in Internet Explorer."
            VALUENAME "NoAddressBar"
                VALUEON 1
                VALUEOFF 0
        END POLICY
    END CATEGORY
    END CATEGORY
    END CATEGORY
    Isaac Oben MCITP:EA, MCSE
    • Marked as answer by Mervyn Zhang Tuesday, June 9, 2009 2:09 AM
    Wednesday, June 3, 2009 1:44 AM
  • Hello Scott,

Follow the above link and download the IE7 Adm and install it on your W2K3 server domain controller. After installation:

Navigate to C:\Windows\Inf\and rename the inetres.adm to inetres_old.adm, then
    Navigate to c:\Program Files\Microsoft Group Policy\ and copy the inetres.adm file to the C:\Windows\Inf\ folder
    Go to Start, run, gpmc.msc. select the GPO you which to apply the IE7 gpo and edit. Go to User configurations, Administrative Templates, right click and select Add\Remove Templates, click add and browse to C:\Windows\Inf\ and select the inetres.adm file and if asked to replace existing, select yes.

To disable "Open" on file menu:
    Navigate to User Coniguration, Administrative Settings, Windows Components, Internet Explorer, Browser Menus, On right panel select and double click on the "Menu option:Disable Open Menu Option" and select Enabled.

• Proposed as answer by Isaac Oben Thursday, June 4, 2009 3:54 PM
    Wednesday, June 3, 2009 8:27 PM
  • Scott,

Go to User configurations, Windows settings, Internet explorer maintenaince, URLS, Important URL , Homepage add new home page on each line
    Thursday, June 4, 2009 4:55 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for update.

I would like to explain that there is no "Internet explorer maintenance" policy under Computer Configuration. However, you can configuration "Internet explorer maintenance" in a GPO for computers and enable Loopback settings so that every user logged on this machine would get "Internet explorer maintenance" settings. For your reference:

Loopback processing of Group Policy
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/231287

Regarding "import URL", is it "Important URLs"? If so, I’m afraid we cannot add multiple Home Page. I suggest you add additional web page to Favorites and Links as work around. 

Thanks.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by Mervyn Zhang Tuesday, June 9, 2009 2:08 AM
    Friday, June 5, 2009 10:12 AM

All replies

• Hello Scott,

Yes, but you may have to make a custom .adm file for what you need to accomplish. You can download the administrative templates for IE 7 here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=11ab3e81-6462-4fda-8ee5-fcb8264c44b1&displaylang=en

This example below will disable the address bar:

CLASS MACHINE
    CATEGORY "Windows Components"
       CATEGORY "Internet Explorer"
          CATEGORY "Toolbars"
             KEYNAME "Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbars\Restrictions\"
        POLICY "Disable IE Address Bar"
            #if version >= 4
                SUPPORTED "Windows XP"
            #endif
            EXPLAIN "Turn of the address bar in Internet Explorer."
            VALUENAME "NoAddressBar"
                VALUEON 1
                VALUEOFF 0
        END POLICY
    END CATEGORY
    END CATEGORY
    END CATEGORY
    Wednesday, June 3, 2009 1:44 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for posting here.

According to your description, I understand that you would like to hide Address Bar and Open option under File menu. If I have misunderstood the problem, please don't hesitate to let me know.

As Isaac’ suggested, we can disable Address Bar. However, we may not possible to disable only one option of all menu options, it’s suggested to disable Menu bar instead.

If you have Windows Server 2008 or Vista, you can configure the following policies for IE7 to disable Address Bar and Menu bar.

[Computer Configuration or User Configuration\Policies\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Internet Explorer]

"Turn on menu bar by default"

If you disable this policy setting, the menu bar will not appear in Internet Explorer by default and the users cannot turn it on.

"Enforce Full Screen Mode"

If you enable this policy setting, the navigation bar, command bar and menu bar will not be visible and the user will not be able to access them.

Thanks.

Wednesday, June 3, 2009 9:36 AM
  • I am runnning Windows Server 2003. Can you tell me how to do this with that version and also I may have a mixed set of IE running. Mainly version 7 and now the new 8. I would like to do this using a Server GP and not having to go to the client and make these setting changes. I have never created my own GP so I may need some pointers on how to do that using the custom .adm file. One other note I am running SP2 on my Windows Server 2003. does that work with this .adm template? It does not say anywhere that it is compatible with SP2.

Thanks
    • Edited by Scott Micale Wednesday, June 3, 2009 2:57 PM Added more details
    Wednesday, June 3, 2009 1:46 PM
  • Hello Scott,

Follow the above link and download the IE7 Adm and install it on your W2K3 server domain controller. After installation:

Navigate to C:\Windows\Inf\and rename the inetres.adm to inetres_old.adm, then
    Navigate to c:\Program Files\Microsoft Group Policy\ and copy the inetres.adm file to the C:\Windows\Inf\ folder
    Go to Start, run, gpmc.msc. select the GPO you which to apply the IE7 gpo and edit. Go to User configurations, Administrative Templates, right click and select Add\Remove Templates, click add and browse to C:\Windows\Inf\ and select the inetres.adm file and if asked to replace existing, select yes.

To disable "Open" on file menu:
    Navigate to User Coniguration, Administrative Settings, Windows Components, Internet Explorer, Browser Menus, On right panel select and double click on the "Menu option:Disable Open Menu Option" and select Enabled.

• Proposed as answer by Isaac Oben Thursday, June 4, 2009 3:54 PM
    Wednesday, June 3, 2009 8:27 PM
  • Ok I got this working. Now is there a way to use the tabs in full screen mode? I would like to set three tabs in IE going to three different sites doing this through a GP. If I can't then my only option I could think that I could do would be to create 3 bookmark shortcuts on the desktop so that the use could click on them to access the sites. Preferrably I would like to create a GP with the sites they can get to in the GP and if possible have them be tabbed. Hopefully this makes sense.
    Thursday, June 4, 2009 3:21 PM
  • Scott,

Go to User configurations, Windows settings, Internet explorer maintenaince, URLS, Important URL , Homepage add new home page on each line
    Thursday, June 4, 2009 4:55 PM
  • Is this also available under the computer specific settings?  I'd rather this GPO be computer rather then user. In the import URL setting there is no place to put multiple URLS on that first line. I tried seperating the addresses with a comma and that did not work.  How can you add multiple URLS to that first section?
    • Edited by Scott Micale Thursday, June 4, 2009 8:06 PM more details
    Thursday, June 4, 2009 7:53 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for update.

I would like to explain that there is no "Internet explorer maintenance" policy under Computer Configuration. However, you can configuration "Internet explorer maintenance" in a GPO for computers and enable Loopback settings so that every user logged on this machine would get "Internet explorer maintenance" settings. For your reference:

Loopback processing of Group Policy
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/231287

Regarding "import URL", is it "Important URLs"? If so, I’m afraid we cannot add multiple Home Page. I suggest you add additional web page to Favorites and Links as work around. 

Thanks.

• Marked as answer by Mervyn Zhang Tuesday, June 9, 2009 2:08 AM
    Friday, June 5, 2009 10:12 AM
  • Hi,

Do you need any other assistance? If there is anything we can do for you, please let us know.

Thanks.

Monday, June 8, 2009 6:47 AM