none
IMAP Folder structure in Outlook does not match folder structure in Webmail--how to resolve?

Question

• Hello.  I have my email setup as IMAP in Outlook (2013).  But my folder structure in Outlook does not exactly match the folder structure in Webmail.  Here is a side-by-side comparison of the directory structures in Outlook and Webmail, and it indicates one folder that is in one location in Outlook, and another location in Webmail.  The top is the Outlook directory structure, and is the "correct" structure (i.e. the structure I intend the directories to have).  In it, you can see that the "content audit" folder is inside the "SEO" folder which is inside the "website-horizonhomes-samui" folder.  But in webmail, the "content audit" folder is inside the "website-horizonhomes-samui" folder, but outside the "SEO" folder.  How should I resolve this, and more importantly, how does this happen?  Shouldn't my IMAP configuration ensure that these two directory structures are identical?

In Webmail I have confirmed that I am "subscribed" to all folders.

Thanks.

Wednesday, March 22, 2017 3:33 PM

Answers

• I never figured out the issue.  So the only solution I could try was to create new folders in Outlook, move my emails there, and delete all of the mismatched folders.  This seems to have worked.
    • Marked as answer by cagross99 Friday, April 7, 2017 11:26 AM
    Friday, April 7, 2017 11:26 AM

All replies

• Hi,

By default, the folder structure should sync with the IMAP mail server.

Have you tried manually change the folder structure from the webmail interface of your IMAP account? After that, you may try clicking the "Update Folder List" button under Folder tab in Outlook to synchronize the folder hierarchy with the server.

Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, March 23, 2017 7:44 AM
  • Thanks for the reply.

>> Have you tried manually change the folder structure from the webmail interface of your IMAP account? 

To be clear, what exactly do you mean by "change the folder structure?"  From Webmail, I have already created a new folder:  "sitemap issue." In the webmail interface, this folder appears inside the folder "content audit."   But this folder does not appear in my Outlook folder structure.  Does this count as changing the folder structure from webmail?

Another piece of evidence comes from within Outlook, when I right click on my Inbox and select "IMAP Folders..."  That brings up a list of subscribed folders (screenshot here).  In the screenshot, you can see that the folder structure in that list does *not* match the folder structure in my normal Outlook view.  Specifically, the "content audit" folder is in different locations.  The folder structure indicated in "IMAP Folders..." actually matches the folder structure as shown in Webmail.  

What do you think about these two pieces of info?  Should I still try the "Update Folder List" button?  Or is there a better course of action?

Thanks.

• Edited by cagross99 Thursday, March 23, 2017 7:59 AM
    Thursday, March 23, 2017 7:58 AM
  • I tried clicking "Update Folder List," but the folder remained.
    Tuesday, April 4, 2017 10:32 AM
  • I never figured out the issue.  So the only solution I could try was to create new folders in Outlook, move my emails there, and delete all of the mismatched folders.  This seems to have worked.
    • Marked as answer by cagross99 Friday, April 7, 2017 11:26 AM
    Friday, April 7, 2017 11:26 AM