Exchange 2007 - Public Calendars being Mail Enabled RRS feed

• Question

• Last year, we migrated from Server 2003 to Server 2008 Exchange 2007.  We have public calendars set up as public folders and on the old server, we were able to add the calendars to meeting requests and see the free/busy information and have the scheduled meetings show up on the public calendar.

Now, I've looked into duplicating this with Exchange 2007 but I am unable to get the exact same functionality.  I know I can create a resource calendar and that will have the free/busy information, but it does not show up as a Public Folder, which is what we'd like.  I also know that we can share the calendar, but it's just not the same.

I've also looked into mail enabling the public folder, which works, but then it does not show the free/busy information when people are trying to schedule a meeting (and inviting the calendar).

Is there any way to get the best of both worlds?  Having it remain a conference room Public Folder (not shared) and being able to see the free/busy information? 

Thanks.

Friday, November 4, 2011 8:43 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Since the public folder is hard to manage for administrators, in Exchange 2007, users use autodiscover and availability service to publish and retrieve free/busy information. For the new resource mailbox feature in Exchange 2007, please see:

Resource scheduling in Exchange Server 2007

http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/archive/2007/05/14/resource-scheduling-in-exchange-server-2007.aspx

Thanks,

Simon

Tuesday, November 8, 2011 9:11 AM

All replies

• How did you get public folder calendars to add to the free-busy data?  I've never heard of that.  As far as I know, only mailboxes participate in free-busy data for any version of Exchange.  Are you sure you don't have some custom script or software assisting with this?
    Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Friday, November 4, 2011 9:30 PM
  • Hello,

Since the public folder is hard to manage for administrators, in Exchange 2007, users use autodiscover and availability service to publish and retrieve free/busy information. For the new resource mailbox feature in Exchange 2007, please see:

Resource scheduling in Exchange Server 2007

http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/archive/2007/05/14/resource-scheduling-in-exchange-server-2007.aspx

Thanks,

Simon

Tuesday, November 8, 2011 9:11 AM
  • Ed,

Sorry, I meant I could get free/busy to work with Resource Mailboxes, not Public Folder Calendars.

Tuesday, November 8, 2011 10:14 PM
  • Simon,

I've looked into that option, but that was for the Resource Mailbox, where I would have to share my calendar, instead of having it show up like a public folder.  Any other ideas?

Tuesday, November 8, 2011 10:15 PM
  • Please restate your problem and explain specifically what is not working.  At this point I don't know whether you're talking about a mailbox or a public folder, and what functions you want that you can't make work.
    Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Wednesday, November 9, 2011 5:27 AM
  • Sorry for the confusion Ed, hopefully I can make the situation a little more clear.

Currently, I have 10 public calendars.  These calendars are used for Rooms and Resources.  They were set up in the Exchange 2003 environment.  Users could set up meeting requests for these calendars and see the free/busy information.  We then had a user who would accept or deny meeting requests, depending on the availability of the resource.

We then migrated to Server 2008 and Exchange 2007.  We migrated the public folders but the free/busy information no longer shows up. 

I looked into Resource Scheduling (the article referenced above) but the problem with that is for users to see the actual calendar, it has to be shared and users would then have to open the shared calendar (unless I'm mistaken).  We would like the calendars to be a public calendar (under public folders) not a shared calendar.

I mail enabled the calendars (set up under public folders), which works, but the free/busy information does not show up when users are trying to schedule a meeting request.

I am just wondering if there is a way to keep it a public calendar and have the free/busy information show up. Or if I can set the calendar up as a resource calendar and have the calendar published under public folders (not as a shared folder)

If there's a third party program, I'm open to that as well.

Wednesday, November 9, 2011 8:26 PM
  • Okay, I wasn't aware that public folder-based calendars ever showed free-busy data; that's news to me, and I've been working Exchange forums for 15 years.  Outlook and Exchange has always been designed to do resource calendaring with mailboxes.  I recommend that you just bite the bullet and start using mailboxes. Exchange 2007 and especially 2010 introduce some very nice autoacceptance and management features.

Wednesday, November 9, 2011 11:53 PM