How to fix width of plain text content control in Microsoft Word 2010? RRS feed

• Question

• I try to make the simplest solution for my custom to modify current Word template without hard code anything except field name.

enter image description here

As you can see above image, normally text field in Word is not fixed width control. So, it may affect document layout. Moreover, I want to add dotted line below all text fields in document template.

Is there any possible solution that end-user can do in normal Microsoft Word 2010 application?

PS. I will fill all controls with data from Microsoft Access.

Monday, April 8, 2013 4:58 PM

All replies

• Since you're populating the document from Access, why are you using content controls? IMHO your purposes would be better served by using a table with fixed cell sizes. That way, whatever you populate a cell with won't affect anything else.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Tuesday, April 9, 2013 11:14 AM
  • This small program is designed to manage 10,000 of application forms in this institute. Staff of this institute will manually fill form in WPF program and all data will be collected in MS Access for easy to use by end-user. The following item are main specification of this program.

1. Print out application form for applicant to sign.

2. Print out payslip for each apply program.

3. Search data for print some report.

In PDF file, I can easily create fix-size absolute position field inside document template like the following document. In Microsoft Word, I cannot fix even the size of plain text field.

PS. Nobody use table with fixed cell size as normal form (hard copy). I think Microsoft Word is really bad choice for creating any document template by end-user.

• Edited by SoulMasterX Tuesday, April 9, 2013 11:52 AM
    Tuesday, April 9, 2013 11:50 AM
  • In PDF file, I can easily create fix-size absolute position field inside document template like the following document. In Microsoft Word, I cannot fix even the size of plain text field.

PS. Nobody use table with fixed cell size as normal form (hard copy). I think Microsoft Word is really bad choice for creating any document template by end-user.

Criticizing Word for not doing the same as some other application is hardly relevant. Have you tried word-processing with Adobe Acrobat?

As for your PS, Word tables are ideal for the kind of thing you describe. Your assertion that 'nobody' does so is plain ignorance - it is a common practice. In my previous employment, many forms were created using Word tables. Before complaining Word is a 'really bad choice', you should learn how to use it.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Tuesday, April 9, 2013 12:00 PM
  • Please give me "how to use it?" by answer my question.

If it's impossible. Just confirm it to me. Or if you don't know, please skip this topic.

Thanks,

Tuesday, April 9, 2013 12:06 PM
  • The only way to fix the width of a text content control is by placing it in a fixed-width table cell, which brings us back to the previous discussion.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Tuesday, April 9, 2013 12:12 PM
  • Is it possible to place plain text field above dotted line without affect it when user inputs any data. If it is possible, i can write some logic to shorten text to match the length of below dotted line. Thanks,
    Tuesday, April 9, 2013 12:18 PM
  • Yes, you can place it in a table cell ...

Alternatively, if you place a right-aligned tab after the content control and format both it and the content control with your underlined format, the space occupied by the tab will shrink as the content control expands. This is very basic Word usage - hardly the kind of stuff that warrants a query in an IT Pro forum.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Tuesday, April 9, 2013 8:39 PM
  • Wednesday, November 5, 2014 5:36 PM
  • Your 'solution' has nothing to do with the problem at hand and, in any event, cannot prevent a content control's width increasing.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Wednesday, November 5, 2014 8:08 PM
  • The problem I have with using a cell in a table to control the width of a field is that a faint line prints for the border even when I remove all borders. This is not acceptable. There are many properties associated with the field; is there not one that can be used to control the width? I need it set to a certain length and for text to wrap.

Friday, June 26, 2020 8:50 PM
  • The problem I have with using a cell in a table to control the width of a field is that a faint line prints for the border even when I remove all borders. This is not acceptable. There are many properties associated with the field; is there not one that can be used to control the width? I need it set to a certain length and for text to wrap.

A borderless table will not print borders. Period. Not even a faint line.

I admit that I am not at your desktop seeing what you are seeing.

Please provide a sample document that prints as you suggest. You can save it on DropBox or OneDrive and post a view link here.

Charles Kenyon Madison, WI

Saturday, June 27, 2020 4:48 AM