none
changing values in a project enterprise custom field. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,

I created in PWA in the server settings a Project Custom Field named "Cost Test" (Project Type, and as Cost)

I know that I can add/modify the information for this project field via a PDP (I am aware about this..) but I would like to know if it is possible to change the value/information for this field in Project Professional...

When I try to select this project field I cannot change or modify information...Any idea?

Best regards,

Pedrof.-

Pedrof.-

Tuesday, July 2, 2013 8:55 AM

Answers

• Is the custom field controlled by workflow?  Check the field definition in PWA.

Reid McTaggart – DeltaBahn Vice President
    Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn Please click Mark As Answer; if a post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful if a post has been useful to you. This can help other community members reading the thread.

• Marked as answer by Pedro Fraile Tuesday, July 2, 2013 3:35 PM
    Tuesday, July 2, 2013 3:23 PM

All replies

• Pedro --

In Microsoft Project, you must click Project > Project Information and then you can change the value.  This is assuming, however, that the custom enterprise Cost field is either a free entry field or contains a lookup table.  Did you click Project > Project Information and then attempt to make the value change?  Let us know and we will try to help.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Tuesday, July 2, 2013 11:41 AM
  • Hi Dale,

yes, this is a simple Project Custom Field (Project Type, and Cost)

I tried it..but I cannot modify anything in the Project Information --> edit custom field values.

What can I do?

REgards,

Pedrof.-

Pedrof.-

Tuesday, July 2, 2013 12:00 PM
  • Pedrof,

Taking a shot in the dark, do you by any chance have the project in read-only mode? This could happen if you have the project checked out from PWA, and then you try and open it from Project Pro.

Prasanna Adavi, PMP, MCTS http://thinkepm.blogspot.com

Tuesday, July 2, 2013 12:35 PM
  • Hi Prasanna,

I have the project open in Project and is not checked out...I can add new tasks and modify the projec plan...but I cannot change the value for the project field as I explained before.

Project Information --> edit custom field values

Regards,

Pedrof.-

Pedrof.-

Tuesday, July 2, 2013 12:39 PM
  • I think probably you have not connected Project Professional to Project Server and you are editing an mpp file instead  of an Enterprise project.  If you are not connected to Project Server, the custom fields will not be editable in the Project Information dialog box.

To create a connection, go to File > Information > Project Server Accounts.

Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn Please click Mark As Answer; if a post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful if a post has been useful to you. This can help other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, July 2, 2013 1:41 PM
  • Also, I will show you as I cannot modify this field:

Pedrof.-

Tuesday, July 2, 2013 1:49 PM
  • As I shared with you.. I am conected to Project Server..also I have just published the project plan...the project is ready to be modified at all but I cannot modify this Project Enterprise field...

Probably I will be doing something wrong... but I don't know it...

Regards,

Pedrof.-

Pedrof.-

Tuesday, July 2, 2013 1:51 PM
  • I cannot see anything that you are doing wrong.  I do note that the screenshot shows you opening the project Read Only, but that should not prevent you from editing the field value.

The only other thing I can think of would be if the custom field is controlled by workflow then it would not be editable in Project Pro.

Tuesday, July 2, 2013 2:33 PM
  • Hi Reid,

I tried it... without success :-(

I need to do it via Project Pro because I don't want to show this field information in a PDP...this is the situation... and I don't understand why I cannot modified it directly in Project Pro 2013...this is very strange...but this behavior is for all the projects published. (also they are open correctly)

Thanks in advance.

Pedrof.-

Pedrof.-

Tuesday, July 2, 2013 3:17 PM
  • Is the custom field controlled by workflow?  Check the field definition in PWA.

• Marked as answer by Pedro Fraile Tuesday, July 2, 2013 3:35 PM
    Tuesday, July 2, 2013 3:23 PM
  • Hi Reid,

Oh my God! you are right! .. I forgot to remove controlled by the WF this field..:-(

Thank you!! :-)  you are very kind.

have a great day.

Regards,

Pedrof.-

Pedrof.-

Tuesday, July 2, 2013 3:35 PM
  • I'm happy to help.  You ask good questions that will be helpful to other people as well, Pedro.

Tuesday, July 2, 2013 3:58 PM
  • I hereby nominate Reid as Computer Genius of the Hour for figuring out the source of this problem and resolving it!  Way to go, Reid.  :)

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Tuesday, July 2, 2013 5:42 PM