Sigmatel AC97 for Dell Inspiron 9200 - Headphone jack broken, anyone know a way to bypass it? RRS feed

• Question

•  

I'm having a real problem with my sigmatel device.  The headphone jack on my Inspiron 9200 is broken, the jack itself is completely away from the motherboard.  I've read loads of posts on the internet about possibility of bypassing the headphone jack entirely.  The main problem is not that I cant use the headphone jack, that really doesnt matter, but having opened up my laptop to investigate I noticed that the headphone jack acts as a circuit, meaning that if the headphone jack has a set of headphones inserted it stops the audio going to the inbuilt laptop speakers and if the headphone jack is empty the sound continues on its way to the speakers.  Since my headphone jack is completely broken away from the motherboard the device 'thinks' that there is a headphone jack inserted all of the time and there is no way to get the audio to bypass the headphone jack and go directly to the speakers.  There is no option to do this in the device manager.  I've tried uninstalling drivers, reinstalling drivers, etc.  I've tried and tested many other sigmatel drivers but nothing works.  The only other option is to buy a new motherboard, something which would seem plausible if were something more serious which was broken.  Does anyone know of a way to fix this problem, or of any driver which allows me to bypass the headphone jack etc...  Any help at all would be appreciated.  Thanks
    Saturday, November 29, 2008 7:41 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Generally, some computer manufacturers customize their speaks settings by software. It is recommended to contact your computer manufacturer to confirm if there is an extra setting for the computer.

Thanks.

Tuesday, December 9, 2008 8:45 AM

All replies

• Hi

I doubt that any hardware or software solution would work in this case.

That motherboard will need to be repaired or replaced. If the computer is still under warranty, I would suggest contacting the computer manufacturer for service. If the system is no longer under warranty, contact a local computer repair shop.

This could be a problem that a simple soldering job could fix, but you need an expert to perform this.

Hope this helps.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience

Saturday, November 29, 2008 8:07 PM
  •  

thanks man, i still have the part and was thinking there about soldering it back on, will probably go for this option.  wanted to see if there was a soft solution for it first though, thanks again
    Saturday, November 29, 2008 9:46 PM
  • Hi

Your welcome.

Glad this helped.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience
    Sunday, November 30, 2008 4:52 AM
  • Ok, so I re-soldered the headphone jack back onto the motherboard.  Now when I insert a set of headphones the headphone jack works, however, the speakers are still not working.  Any ideas?

Saturday, December 6, 2008 7:48 AM
  • Hi,

Generally, some computer manufacturers customize their speaks settings by software. It is recommended to contact your computer manufacturer to confirm if there is an extra setting for the computer.

Thanks.

Tuesday, December 9, 2008 8:45 AM