Vista to VIsta Image to VHD to Boot from VHD in Win7? RRS feed

• Question

• So i want to move to win7 im on VIsta and have a boatload of apps, visual studio etc.. etc..
    Is it possible to take an image of my computer.. somehow turn that into a VHD and then Boot from that VHD?
    thanks
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009 1:14 AM

Answers

• No. As I explained in the other post, Vista doesn't have a bootloader that supports vhd booting. Only Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 have the required bootloader. It's all about the bootloader in the vhd. Vista doesn't have what it takes to vhd boot.
    • Marked as answer by Andy Song Tuesday, October 6, 2009 10:59 AM
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009 2:41 AM
  • Hello JuanSueroNYC,

Add to John Paul Cook's response, Native VHD boot is supported only by Windows 7, and it is restricted to the following editions:

Windows 7 Enterprise

Windows 7 Ultimate

According to your requirement, you can install Windows 7 on another partition to dual boot the system.

Good luck!

Andy

• Proposed as answer by John Paul Cook Thursday, October 1, 2009 12:36 AM
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009 6:17 AM

All replies

• Proposed as answer by John Paul Cook Thursday, October 1, 2009 12:35 AM
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009 2:16 AM
  • could you get fancy and do a Complete PC Backup then nuke the machine... start windows 7 WinPE, create a blank VHD, begin VIsta install but restore from backup to this VHD?

Sounds possible.
    Especially since the VHDs in Windows 7 run close to the hardware right?
    no driver issues?

if anything i can take the VHD and restore from backup back to the host machine
    effectively rolling back everything
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009 2:32 AM
  • No. As I explained in the other post, Vista doesn't have a bootloader that supports vhd booting. Only Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 have the required bootloader. It's all about the bootloader in the vhd. Vista doesn't have what it takes to vhd boot.
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009 2:41 AM
  • ohh dayum!!!!

Wednesday, September 30, 2009 2:49 AM
  • Hello JuanSueroNYC,

Add to John Paul Cook's response, Native VHD boot is supported only by Windows 7, and it is restricted to the following editions:

Windows 7 Enterprise

Windows 7 Ultimate

According to your requirement, you can install Windows 7 on another partition to dual boot the system.

Good luck!

Andy

• Proposed as answer by John Paul Cook Thursday, October 1, 2009 12:36 AM
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009 6:17 AM
  • thanks for the information although i dont want to have OS on different partitiions.... i was just hoping to save some time
    into getting into this
    Just boot from VHD world.

One more question. 

What kinds of things can I do that are not obvious by having a set of machines that just boot there OS from VHD.

Some obvious things is i can send developer a DVD of his dev environment.
    Installing an OS becomes a file transfer

ahhh..
    in the future theres this model driven I.T. approach and stuff you have installed on premises becomes partly run in the cloud partly on premises
    stream out the VHD to the cloud and run it in that highly available environment

ok so maybe we are not there in that dream world yet but what innovative things can you start to do that are not immediately obvious.

Thursday, October 1, 2009 6:31 PM