Vista Freezes on Startup, 80% of the time. RRS feed

• Question

• I recently purchased a new PC, custom built with an ASUS M2N-E SLI Motherboard (nForce 500 chipset). I am running of a AMD Athlon 64bit Dual Core processor, and my GPUs are 2x GeForce 8800GT 500s, if that matters. Its an SLI machine. =]

Now, my problem began right after I installed a fresh version of Windows Vista Ultimate (32bit) on to my hardrive (which I reformatted). I booted up my system and the all was good, until the Windows loading screen up, with the green loading bar. The computer just froze completely. Theres no Blue screen or anything. I thought it had to be all the missing drivers, or maybe outdated BIOS. I rebooted again it worked! So while I had the chance, i updated the BIOS, downloaded all my drivers (chipset, display), and updated windows. I rebooted after I had everything installed. And it froze in the same spot, again.

Everytime I try to boot from the Windows Vista Disk it does the same thing.
    The only way around it is in safe mode.
    Though, sometimes (about 1/10 tries) windows successfully starts.

I've messed with my BIOS to see if I had something set incorectly, but havnt found anything yet. I've been playing with my hardware to see if something is setup incorrectly, but alas, nothing.

Please help me out!
    Could this be because I have installed Vista 32bit on a machine with a 64bit processor?

NOTE: I have reinstalled vista about 3 times with the same results.

Saturday, November 17, 2007 11:45 AM

Answers

•  

Hi 9Jack,

Thank you for the post.

As the computer does not freeze when booting to Safe Mode, the cause can be incompatible third-party programs.

I suggest performing a Clean Boot to troubleshoot the issue.

How to Perform Clean Boot:

==================

1. Click Start, type MSCONFIG in the Search Bar and Press Enter to start the System Configuration Utility.

Note: Please click Continue if the "User Account Control" window pops up.

2. Click the Services tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click Disable All (if it is not gray).

3. Click the Startup tab, click Disable All and click OK.

4. Restart the computer.

Note: Clean Boot is a troubleshooting step. If some programs have been disabled during the troubleshooting, we can re-enable them later. If there appears System Configuration Utility , check the box of "Don't show this message" and then click OK.

What’s the result?

If the issue persists, please send me the following information for further research:

System Information

=============

The System Information can provide us with more information about the current status of the system. I would like to check it for you. Please send it to me using the following steps:

1. Click the Start Button, type "MSINFO32" in the Search Bar and press Enter to start the System Information.
    2. On the popup window, on the menu bar, click "File", and click "Save", type a file name and then choose NFO as "Save as type", click “Desktop” on the left pane, and click Save.

Sigverif File

=============

a. Click Start, click Run, type "sigverif" (without the quotation marks), and then click OK.

b. Click Advanced.

c. Check the box before “Save the file signature verification results to a log file”.

d. Choose “Overwriting existing log file.”.

e. Set the Log file name as SIGVERIF.TXT.

f. Click OK.

g. Click Start.

A SIGVERIF.TXT file will be created in C:\WINDOWS.

Please send the System Information file and SIGVERIF.TXT to SCEDATA@microsoft.com.

Note: Please include the following three lines in the email body:

Vista Freezes on Startup, 80% of the time.

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2422294&SiteID=17

Tim Quan - MSFT

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Microsoft Online Community Support

Tuesday, November 20, 2007 7:37 AM

All replies

• Any input or suggestions are welcome.
    I'm getting kinda desprate.

Thanks in advance,

9Jack
    Sunday, November 18, 2007 1:01 AM
  •  

Hi 9Jack,

Thank you for the post.

As the computer does not freeze when booting to Safe Mode, the cause can be incompatible third-party programs.

I suggest performing a Clean Boot to troubleshoot the issue.

How to Perform Clean Boot:

==================

1. Click Start, type MSCONFIG in the Search Bar and Press Enter to start the System Configuration Utility.

Note: Please click Continue if the "User Account Control" window pops up.

2. Click the Services tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click Disable All (if it is not gray).

3. Click the Startup tab, click Disable All and click OK.

4. Restart the computer.

Note: Clean Boot is a troubleshooting step. If some programs have been disabled during the troubleshooting, we can re-enable them later. If there appears System Configuration Utility , check the box of "Don't show this message" and then click OK.

What’s the result?

If the issue persists, please send me the following information for further research:

System Information

=============

The System Information can provide us with more information about the current status of the system. I would like to check it for you. Please send it to me using the following steps:

1. Click the Start Button, type "MSINFO32" in the Search Bar and press Enter to start the System Information.
    2. On the popup window, on the menu bar, click "File", and click "Save", type a file name and then choose NFO as "Save as type", click “Desktop” on the left pane, and click Save.

Sigverif File

=============

a. Click Start, click Run, type "sigverif" (without the quotation marks), and then click OK.

b. Click Advanced.

c. Check the box before “Save the file signature verification results to a log file”.

d. Choose “Overwriting existing log file.”.

e. Set the Log file name as SIGVERIF.TXT.

f. Click OK.

g. Click Start.

A SIGVERIF.TXT file will be created in C:\WINDOWS.

Please send the System Information file and SIGVERIF.TXT to SCEDATA@microsoft.com.

Note: Please include the following three lines in the email body:

Vista Freezes on Startup, 80% of the time.

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2422294&SiteID=17

Tim Quan - MSFT

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Tuesday, November 20, 2007 7:37 AM
  • Hi 9Jack,

It doesn't matter what program you are in or what you are doing I have had Vista since I received my free upgrade from Dell/Microsoft and my computer has been freezing every since. I have been trying update after update and still the same problem exist. I have even called Dell Suport and they advised that is an apparent ongoing issue with Vista. Microsoft haven't worked out all the kinks.

Just wanted you to know that you are not alone and that to date there is no cure.

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 6:08 AM
  •  

Hi Simadowna,

Thank you for the post.

I understand that you are also facing a freezing issue on Windows Vista.

Please understand that this kind of issues are mainly caused by the following factors:

1. Incompatible third-party programs

2. Incompatible hardware or hardware limitations.

3. Virus infection.

As we know, Windows Vista needs a higher hardware requirements to run properly. Therefore, some computers running Windows XP may not able to run Windows Vista well due to its hardware limitations. Although some third-party hardware manufacturers claim that their products have already been compatible with Windows Vista, there still exists incompatibility.

Microsoft is now developing Windows Vista Service Pack 1 to improve the system performance. On the other hand, third-party products’ manufactures are also perfecting their Windows Vista compatible products. I believe in the future, with the efforts of both third-party products’ manufactures and Microsoft, Windows Vista will become more and more stable.

Currently, you can format the drive and reinstall the system to get a clean environment of Windows Vista. If it still freezes, the issue is probably caused by the incompatible hardware or hardware limitation. If it is an OEM version, the issue can also occur because of the programs added or customized on the system by OEMs. You can unplug all unnecessary hardware devices such as sound card, printer and network card to narrow down the cause. If the culprit is found, you may need to upgrade the hardware.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Thursday, November 22, 2007 7:21 AM
  • I also purchased my computer and then received the Vista upgrade about 2 months later.  I have been extremely disappointed with the quality of Vista.  This is a brand new computer and what is worse is that it seems that no one is doing anything to help those who spend hundreds of dollars to get Vista.

Thanks -

Thursday, December 6, 2007 2:41 AM
  •  

I have the same problem, but I do know what causes it.

I have a D-link DWL g520 wirelless adapter, this adapter appears on Microsoft compability list, and it does work when i get windows to start-up.

It is annoying, but the way I keep windows from freezing at the loading screen is by entering on save mode, then I disable the adapter and then I restart my PC, after that windows loads without a problem, then (and this is the part i don't understand) I'm re-enable the wireless adapter and it works just fine. The downside of all this is that  I have to make sure to disabling the wireless adapter before I restart or shutdown the PC, otherwise I have to go into safe mode to get it working again 

Monday, January 21, 2008 3:50 PM
  • I also have the D-Link DWL-G520, and it freezes Vista on startup every single time on my pc.

I do pretty much the same thing as you, but there is a slightly quicker/easier way of doing it.

Find the "Wireless Network Connection" and save a shortcut to it on your desktop.

You should then be able to "Disable" this by right clicking and selecting "disable" from the options. Once your network is disabled (red cross through the "Currently Connected to" icon in your taskbar?), you can shutdown. You should now be able to restart without any problems, and once Vista has loaded up, simply right click on the "Wireless Network Connection" shortcut on your desktop and "enable" it.

Saturday, February 23, 2008 2:11 AM