Cannot Move the cursor through a separated word - is this a language specific bug? RRS feed

• Question

• I detected an anoying bug: When I write a word at the end of a line it will be separated in two syllables. So far so good.

But when I subsequently try to move the cursor backwards (for correction) this is possible only until the start of the second line. Then the cursor goes directly to the start of the word. I don't see the cursor moving through the upper part of the word.

Other (german) users have the same problem.

Is this a german specific bug?

• Edited by Halweg Wednesday, September 28, 2011 7:44 AM
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 7:43 AM

All replies

• I detected an anoying bug: When I write a word at the end of a line it will be separated in two syllables. So far so good.

But when I subsequently try to move the cursor backwards (for correction) this is possible only until the start of the second line. Then the cursor goes directly to the start of the word. I don't see the cursor moving through the upper part of the word.

Other (german) users have the same problem.

Is this a german specific bug?

When words break (that is, without being hyphenated), even if there is room to move them to the next line, one possibility is a damaged font. If the affected documents all use the same font, try reinstalling it (or simply choosing a different font for testing purposes).

Alternatively, the document(s) could be corrupt; see http://word.mv ps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/CorruptDoc.htm.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 7:59 AM
  • What I mean is hyphenation. The problem exists only with automaticly hyphenated words and directly after typing the word.

But since there are other users with this bug (even in Word 2007) I can't imagine it's a font issue.

Example:

This is a single line with a long word at the end: discus-
    sion

Now I tried
    - another font (verdana/arial)
    - another language (german / english)
    - another font size
    - a new, empty normal.dotm
    the issue remains. Only switching the hyphenation off will help - this is of course not a solution.

Moreover I detected that when I mark the whole paragraph the first part of the hyphenated word stays unmarked (without blue backround).

It's all only a problem of visibility, if I could see the right cursor position I could edit my word. Since this problem still exists a few years - is there a official techhelp document about? Or should I  use http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/suggestions.aspx?

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 12:13 PM
  • On 2011-09-28 14:13, Halweg wrote:

What I mean is hyphenation. The problem exists only with automaticly hyphenated words and directly after typing the word.

But since there are other users with this bug (even in Word 2007) I can't imagine it's a font issue.

OK, I wasn't aware of an issue with hyphenation, but if there is one, I could very well have missed it, since I don't use that feature very often.

Do you have an example of a thread which discusses hyphenation? In a quick search, I could only find some referring to the beta version of Office 2010.

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 1:46 PM
  • I've Office 2010 since a few weeks, before in Word 2002 there was not such an issue, but I'm not sure about the earlier versions - somehow this bug reminds me of something.

I tried it out on my other computer (Word 2007): the same issue. My business partner reports this bug too (with Word 2007).

All discussions  I detected so far were in german: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/de/office_14de/thread/ab62937d-90b7-4e05-bc7c-c3126bcdc249

and another thread started by mine:
    http://www.ms-office-forum.net/forum/showthread.php?t=282613

What about you - did you can reproduce this issue?

• Edited by Halweg Wednesday, September 28, 2011 2:20 PM
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 2:19 PM
  • The fact that the posts you have found are in German suggests that the issue is specific to German. If it existed in English I'm sure it would have come up somewhere.

And, no, I can't reproduce it in my native language which is Swedish.

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 2:28 PM
  • The fact that the posts you have found are in German suggests that the issue is specific to German. If it existed in English I'm sure it would have come up somewhere.

Yes, this seems to be so.  But if it were a problem of the german hyphenation machine - why I can reproduce the issue while setting language to english?

What if you set text language to english? When trying:
    - be aware not to position the cursor later to that text position (the issue occurs only directly after typing the last letter or space of the word)
    - don't insert the word by clipboard
    - spell correction should be switched on, the problem occurs especially when misspelling happens in the hyphenated word

What could be the differences between the localized word versions?

I think it's an important bug since moving cursor to correct spelling is a very basic feature of every word processing program. So it should be reported. My intention is to "isolate" this bug.

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 2:58 PM
  • - be aware not to position the cursor later to that text position (the issue occurs only directly after typing the last letter or space of the word)

OK, I missed that part. I can now reproduce it even in Swedish, so it's definitely something that doesn't happen only in German. Honestly, though, I found it annoying, but I don't see it as a huge problem.

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 5:53 PM