USB Message to Initiate Shutdown RRS feed

• Question

• I'm looking for the standard message (if there is a standard) that is transmitted through a usb port, that initiates a Power Management shutdown.  This is the same message that UPS software would be listening for.

Situation: A microprocessor will monitor power flow (similar to a standard UPS).  Microprocessor will be connected via USB to main system running Windows 7 Pro or better.  When power is cut the microprocessor needs to send the message that Windows 7 will recognize and initiate an immediate shutdown.  The battery in this system is not a standard UPS.

Thanks

• Moved by Carey FrischMVP Wednesday, May 4, 2011 3:55 PM Moved to more appropriate forum category (From:Windows 7 Miscellaneous)
    Wednesday, May 4, 2011 2:29 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Base on my understanding, you want to shutdown when USB drive is disconnect. If I misunderstand, please let me know.

And in theory, an event id should generated when unplug a USB drive, and if you have the event id you can make a shutdown script, like “shutdown –h now”, then set a task scheduler to run this script at the trigger of an event id.

Hope that will give you some sense.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Leo Huang Wednesday, May 11, 2011 7:23 AM
    Friday, May 6, 2011 7:40 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Base on my understanding, you want to shutdown when USB drive is disconnect. If I misunderstand, please let me know.

And in theory, an event id should generated when unplug a USB drive, and if you have the event id you can make a shutdown script, like “shutdown –h now”, then set a task scheduler to run this script at the trigger of an event id.

Hope that will give you some sense.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Leo Huang Wednesday, May 11, 2011 7:23 AM
    Friday, May 6, 2011 7:40 AM
  • Leo,

Thanks for the reply.  I've decided to manually program the microprocessor and write software to monitor.  This will give the ability to monitor relays as well as power flow.

Thank You

Tuesday, May 10, 2011 1:49 PM