Missing Email Encryption Certificate RRS feed

• Question

• Not sure this is the correct forum, but I haven't had much luck asking these kinds of questions in other forums, so...

We have a user who just got a new computer. He used email encryption on his old machine, so we wanted to export the certificate from the old machine to the new machine. The problem is, we can't find the certificate on the old machine.

I had the employee log on to the old machine and then I opened certificates.msc and attempted to drill down to Certificates - Current User > Personal > Certificates, but the Certificates folder does not exist. So I went in to Outlook and tested his ability to send and receive encrypted emails, and it does work. I went into the Outlook Trust Center > Email Security > Settings and selected the Choose button to select a certificate, and I see a valid certificate listed there. I also looked through other certificate stores and did not find the email certificate. So if email encryption is working on his old machine, why can't I see the certificate in certificates.msc? Is there a way to reveal that certificate and get it exported so that I can import it to the new machine?

Thanks in advance for any help that you can offer!

--Tom

Tuesday, May 2, 2017 4:24 PM

All replies

• Hi,

In fact, for Outlook issue, you could ask for help from our Office forum.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/home?category=officeitpro

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us. 

Thanks for your understanding and cooperating.

Best Regards,

Tao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, May 3, 2017 2:48 AM
  • I would disagree with the characterization that my question is not post appropriately.  Security certificates are stored by the OS--not by Office.  Yes, Outlook *uses* the email encryption certificate, but it has nothing to do with *storing* that certificate, and Office would not have anything to do with why the certificate is not visible in the certificates console.

Your response is precisely the type of response that makes certificate questions so difficult to get answered.  My question is clearly about why the certificate is not visible in MMC.  It has nothing to do with Outlook.  Yet you characterize it as an Outlook issue and pass the buck to the Office forum.  I've posted these kinds of questions to the Office forum before and I can almost guarantee that they would advise me to post it elsewhere.

The problem that I see is that certificate issues, depending on the nature of the problem, can involve servers, client OSs, or Office.  But the experts who frequent those respective forums often see certificate issues as someone else's problem to solve.  In my opinion what is needed is a dedicated forum for certificate issues that would be frequented by experts who understand how certificates work end-to-end, from being issued by the CA server to being stored by the client OS to being utilized by client software.

--Tom

Thursday, May 4, 2017 2:43 PM
  • Hi,

We haven’t heard from you for a couple of days, have you solved the problem? We are looking forward to your good news.

Best Regards,

Tao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, May 9, 2017 6:23 AM