none
Read only access to all PMs to view all projects. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi.

We are having an issue at the moment where we'd ideally like all of our Project Managers to have sight of everyone else's project in a read only way. We don't want anyone having the rights to amend a project unless they are the Project Manager.

Currently they are all set up within the Security Group as Project Manager (3 are also Portfolio Managers as they have direct reports whose projects they need to keep track of).

Their Security Category is All. Unfortunately no one here has enough knowledge of Project Server and the implication of amending or reducing the number of options selected, though this is (slowly) being addressed.

In Global Permissions everything has been allowed, nothing is denied.

When I joined originally, every team member was an Administrator so we have now scaled this back so we only have 2 Administrators and everyone else is now just Project Manager and they can only see those projects they are managing. It would be useful if they could have sight of everyones projects as they can offer assitance where needed.

If anyone can offer any assistance in how to go about this, or if it's even possible, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Clair.

Thursday, September 5, 2013 3:14 PM

Answers

• Clair --

The steps in the FAQ only tell you how to set up Read-Only access to the projects belonging to other project managers using Microsoft Project.  To allow your PMs to have Read-Only access in the Project Center to the projects owned by other PMS, complete the steps in the FAQ for the My Organization category, and then select the View Project Summary in Project Center checkbox and select the View Project Schedule in Project Web App checkbox as well.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

• Marked as answer by Lowey82 Monday, September 23, 2013 9:22 AM
    Wednesday, September 11, 2013 1:51 AM

All replies

• Clair --

Refer to the following FAQ on how to set up the security model so that each PM has Read/Write access to his/her own projects, but has Read-Only access to the projects belonging to every other PM:

http://www.projectserverexperts.com/ProjectServerFAQKnowledgeBase/OpenOtherProjectsReadOnly.aspx

When you access the URL referenced above, please be patient as it appears the msPE web site is kind of slow today.  You will see the exact steps for how to accomplish this, and you will also see it is not complicated.

Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Thursday, September 5, 2013 6:21 PM
  • Hi Dale,

Thank you for the reply and the link. I've carried out the changes as explained on the Project Server Experts page (easier than I anticipated!) but I'm not sure if it's worked.

When the Project Managers go in to the Project Centre, they can still only see their projects. They don't have everyone else's projects available to them. The only way we know to make this possible is to make everyone an Administrator - which is what we don't want.

Have I missed something?

Thanks,

Clair.

Monday, September 9, 2013 10:24 AM
  • Clair --

The steps in the FAQ only tell you how to set up Read-Only access to the projects belonging to other project managers using Microsoft Project.  To allow your PMs to have Read-Only access in the Project Center to the projects owned by other PMS, complete the steps in the FAQ for the My Organization category, and then select the View Project Summary in Project Center checkbox and select the View Project Schedule in Project Web App checkbox as well.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

• Marked as answer by Lowey82 Monday, September 23, 2013 9:22 AM
    Wednesday, September 11, 2013 1:51 AM
  • Hi Dale,

Thanks again for the suggestion - it worked!

Thank you.

Clair

Monday, September 23, 2013 9:22 AM