Hyper-V Host hostname from a Linux guest? RRS feed

• Question

• Does anyone know if it's possible to determine the Hyper-V Host hostname from inside a Linux VM?  I know the Windows integration components write some registry keys that are useful in this regard ("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Virtual Machine\Guest\Parameters"); is there anything similar maintained in config file on a Linux VM?

I'm sure someone will bring up security issues and ask why I need this information.  Generally, we license software by physical host and I'm looking for methods to identify the physical host from inside the VM as this will greatly simplify our licensing process.

Thanks.

Friday, March 18, 2011 9:28 PM

Answers

• We will be adding that functionality soon.
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, March 23, 2011 6:33 PM
  • The functionality is available in the latest Linux kernel (2.6.39-rc1). We're evaluating how to bring it to downlevel guests.

-M

Wednesday, April 6, 2011 2:55 PM

All replies

• We will be adding that functionality soon.
    Wednesday, March 23, 2011 6:33 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.  I'm sure nothing can be promised at this point but do you have any idea when we might see this functionality?  Is there a target release date for the version of Linux Integration Services that would have this capability?

Thanks again.

Evan

Monday, March 28, 2011 8:25 PM
  • The functionality is available in the latest Linux kernel (2.6.39-rc1). We're evaluating how to bring it to downlevel guests.

-M

Wednesday, April 6, 2011 2:55 PM
  • Hi Mike,

I have a similar requirement of getting the Hyper-V version from Linux guests.

Do we have an update on this?

Thanks,

Saleem

Wednesday, December 18, 2013 6:43 AM