none
KB2988414 and default search provider via INSTALL.INS RRS feed

• Question

• I use Internet Explorer Administration Kit (IEAK) to preset search providers.

IEAK lets you nominate the default search provider (the one I have preset isn't Bing).

This creates [SearchProviders] in an INSTALL.INS file.  You can transfer this to

C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\SIGNUP\install.ins

Before installing KB2988414, this process "just works".

After installing KB2988414, when you logon with a new profile, which triggers the Internet Explorer new profile process, Internet Explorer shows

An unknown program would like to change your default search provider to "[provider]"

However, this is a legitimate, Microsoft-provided process, not malicious software.

If I remove the following parameter from the [SearchProviders] block, then I no longer get the message, but the search provider defaults to Bing.

Default1=1

I believe this is a defect.

Kind regards,

Anwar

Friday, August 29, 2014 12:42 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi  Anwar,

Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed in the "Applies to" section, the explanation can be found at:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2988414/en-us

The information you provided will be helpful in improving this!

Regards

Wade Liu
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, September 1, 2014 9:59 AM
  • Wade or any other resource, has there been any progress in this area? Its been over 4 months and this is still an open issue, which is actually guide a significant problem in my enterprise.
    Friday, January 9, 2015 10:41 PM
  • Does anyone from MS have an answer or update on this?
    Monday, January 12, 2015 2:27 PM
  • No response so created a new post:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/en-US/23a169f9-9b7f-4b55-80b5-b3e09c50f196/lost-default-search-engine-control-due-to-kb2988414?forum=ieitprocurrentver

Tuesday, January 13, 2015 2:30 PM