How to make all new software sessions start in the same active desktop? RRS feed

• Question

• Suppose I'm working on Ms. Word a session in Desktop-1, then I got an urgent work task, so I create a new desktop (Desktop-2) for the new task, when I start a new Ms. word session, Windows 10 jumps back to the previous desktop (Desktop-1) with the first Ms. word and open the new session "document" there. This is really annoying, especially when working with multiple desktops and multiple software. 

I want all new sessions of any software launch in the same active desktop that I'm wokring on. How to do that?  

Thanks, 
    Saturday, May 11, 2019 7:28 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Here is a solution that may help you. just like the below screen, go to the settings, multitask and under virtual desktop select only the desktop i'm using.

Sunday, May 12, 2019 3:59 AM
  • Hi,

I'm afraid this functionality is by design. If you try to open a new instance(same with Desktop-1) in a different virtual desktop it takes you back to the Desktop-1 where originally opened.

Virtual desktops aren't perfect.

Windows will remember how many virtual desktops you have, but not the windows that were open on those desktops. You'll have to open all programs anew and drag them to the appropriate desktops each time.

Best regards,

Farena

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, May 13, 2019 3:15 AM
  • Hi,

If the reply helped you, please remember to mark it as an answer.

If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, May 15, 2019 7:31 AM
  • Thanks @Mohsen, it was already chosen to "only the desktop I'm using, but this option has nothing to do with concerned problem. 

Wednesday, May 15, 2019 1:08 PM
  • Thank you @Farena , unfortunately, non of the answers were a solution to the raised question.

I was so excited for this feature "multi-Desktop since it's launched with Windows 10; but unfortunately its is not as good as we hoped for. Actually, sometimes it causes lots of confusions especially with people who work on multiple projects and multiple software.

We thought that Microsoft developers will resolve this issue earlier, but it's been about 5 years!!

Wednesday, May 15, 2019 1:30 PM
  • Hi,

Sorry for the inconvenience.

I suggest you to send a feedback to Microsoft regarding this feature. Type Feedback on Search bar and go to Feedback app.

Have a nice day!

Thursday, May 16, 2019 7:56 AM