none
Disable schedule push between connected projects RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I have the following issue:

If project 1 has task 1 and project 2 has task 2, with task 2 being dependent on task 1, I want to be able to change task 1’s start/end dates and have it NOT automatically change task 2’s start/end date but still show the inter dependency. 

Any ideas on how to do this? I cannot simply change the tasks to manually scheduled they still need to be automatic due to other factors such as resources and such.

Thanks in advanced and glad to join this community,

Kent

Friday, November 8, 2013 8:41 PM

All replies

• Hi Kent,

Which Project version are you using?

First of all, if your using Project Server 2010, I'd advice you to use the out-of-the-box feature called "delivrables-dependencies" in order to link tasks among projects. Notice that in this case, you need to provision Sharepoint project sites when publishing the project plan.

You'll find information here:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/project/archive/2007/02/24/deliverables.aspx

If you're using the more basic functionality already available in PS2003, PS2007 and still in PS2010, you'll be able in the advanced option dialog box (menu file\options), in the "inter projects links options" (not sure of the translation, I've got PS 2010 in french..) to disable automatic updates from external data.

Moreover, in your project plan, in the "project" tab, you can edit interprojects link dialog box to view all external dependencies and accept or refuse any updated.

Hope this helps.

Guillaume Rouyre - MBA, MCP, MCTS

Friday, November 8, 2013 8:49 PM
  • Kent,

What exactly is the dependency relationship between task 1 and task 2? Normally in a dynamic schedule if the predecessor task moves, the desired result is to have the successor task also move. That's the main point of declaring the dependency. However I assume you have a case where task 1 SHOULD complete before task 2 can start BUT for some reason task 2 cannot start earlier or later than a particular date. In that case you could put a Must-Start-On constraint on task 2 and also check the option to honor constraint dates under File/Options/Schedule group. The "dependency" will remain but task 2 in project 2 will not move when task 1 in project 1 moves.

John

Saturday, November 9, 2013 1:49 AM
  • So far it seems as though John's response will best suit my needs.

Deliverable seem to get complicated when you are using a Master Project with lots of subprojects as when I try to create deliverable I tend to get errors (only when in a Master project).

Are there any other recommendations? If not I may have to ultimately go with John's solution.

Thanks!

Monday, November 11, 2013 8:51 PM
  • Kent,

I'm personally not a fan of hard constraints (e.g. must-start-on). I never use them basically because they defeat the dynamics of a schedule and I have yet to find a realistic situation where they would be of benefit. However, with your unusual request to defeat the schedule dynamics it was the best alternative I could come up with other than what Guillaume suggested.

Something else I think is worth mentioning. There are some good practice rules that must be observed when working with a linked structure (e.g. master/subproject) in Project. Never move, rename, or "save off" any of the files in the structure. It is also advisable to NOT operate a linked structure over a network. Linked structures are prone to corruption and not adhering to the above practices will most likely result in file corruption sooner or later.

John

Monday, November 11, 2013 9:40 PM