none
Export to Microsoft Excel opens empty - IE11, Office 2010, Win 7 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am using IE11, Office 2010 and Win7 64bit. When I open IE, navigate to a webpage and click "Export to Microsoft Excel" from the context menu of IE, Excel opens and the "New Web Query" dialog has an empty address (http:///). The content is

"This page can`t be displayed"

Does anyone know what might be the cause of this problem and how can I fix it?

Best Regards,

Jordan

Monday, July 14, 2014 10:31 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Please include a link to any webpage you are having issues with your questions so we can test the page....

The 'Export to Microsoft Excel' context menu extension looks for a <table> block selection on the current page.

Not that it should matter, but the extension is a resource extension called from a 32bit dll.

type

javascript:alert(navigator.platform);

in the IE address bar to determine what bitness IE is using for that tab.

Questions regarding Internet Explorer 8, 9 and 10 and Internet Explorer 11 for the IT Pro Audience. Topics covered are: Installation, Deployment, Configuration, Security, Group Policy, Management questions. If you are a consumer looking for answers or to raise a question, it's highly recommended you head on over to http://answers.microsoft.com

Rob^_^

Tuesday, July 15, 2014 3:05 AM
  • Hi,

You can try this feature in Excel for test.

Open Excel, switch to DATA, choose From Web , then try to import the website for test if it had same problem.

If so, please also try other site for test to check if it was the site problem.

Roger Lu
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, July 15, 2014 3:07 AM
  • Hi,

Please include a link to any webpage you are having issues with your questions so we can test the page....:

Any webpage ... it is not webpage specific rather an environmental problem.

javascript:alert(navigator.platform); :

---------------------------
    Message from webpage
    Win32
    OK   
    Open Excel, switch to DATA, choose From Web , then try to import the website for test if it had same problem.:

It works unsurprisingly ...

When I open IE I can see in the Windows Task Manager there are 2 processes - a 64bit (~8MB RAM) and a 32bit one (~70 MB RAM)

My Office 2010 is a 32bit.

If I open it directly a 32bit excel process is stared.

If I open it via the "Export to Microsoft Excel" menu two 32bit excel processes are started. I believe one is for the New Web Query and another one for the Excel itself ..

Best Regards,

Jordan

Tuesday, July 15, 2014 7:33 AM
  • Hi,

In my test enviroment, it just generate only one excel.exe process. So, Please check if your system installed Excel adds-on, if so, disable them for test.

If problem persists, you can try to repair office for compents for test. However, it would be better to provide your problem at Office forum for further assistance.

Roger Lu

Tuesday, July 15, 2014 8:59 AM
  • Hi,

It is my mistake. After Export to Microsoft Excel it generates one 32bit Excel process for me also.

Best Regards,

Jordan

Tuesday, July 15, 2014 12:17 PM
  • Well, how about your problem now?

Roger Lu

Wednesday, July 16, 2014 2:19 AM
  • Hi,

Well, it is not working. Before I installed Office 2010 I was with 2007 and it was not working. That`s why I installed 2010 but with no success. I have also tried with 32bit and 64bit Office 2010. I am currently with the 32bit.

It is not working for me.

Best Regards,

Jordan

Wednesday, July 16, 2014 8:19 AM