none
Automation of Windows Deployment with WDS -> BOOTMGR is missing

Question

• Hi there,

I have Windows Deployment Services on a 2008 R2 running. I want to deploy sysprepd Images of 2008 R2 (Standard and Enterprise) onto other machines. Therefor I created 2 boot.wim's which I can launch via PXE and should automaticly launch diskpart for formatting the HDD's and imagex to apply the WIM-File. Everything works fine, but when imagex is finished and machine reboots I get "BOOTMGR is missing".

Here's my startnet.cmd from boot.wim. This just maps a network-share where the image and install-script is located...

wpeinit
    REM mount drive Z:\ to \\fileserver\...
    net use z: \\fileserver\shares\global\install\ /user:domain\wds-service password
    z:
    2008-R2-Enterprise.cmd
    Here's 2008-R2-Enterprise.cmd. It launches DISKPART and the applies the wim-Image
    cls
    REM prepare HDD
    DISKPART /s diskpart.txt
    REM install Image
    imagex /apply 2008-R2-Enterprise.wim 1 C:\
    exit

...and here's my diskpart.txt

SELECT DISK 0
    CLEAN
    CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY
    FORMAT QUICK FS=NTFS LABEL="Windows"
    ASSIGN LETTER=C
    ACTIVE
    EXIT

What am I'm doing wrong?! I spend several hours in debugging and "googling" for solutions...

Please help...thx

Miranda

Friday, August 31, 2012 10:22 AM

All replies

• it is recommended you use MDT 2012 for deploying of images and use WDS just for serving the litetouchPE image to PXE booting clients.

it makes for a much more streamlined deployment and checking for errors is easier with the logs MDT generates.

Microsoft Deployment Toolkit (MDT) 2012 Update 1

Friday, August 31, 2012 10:34 AM
  • I used MDT 2012 but it's to slow... With my syspreped Images I can deploy a server in 5 minutes (and all updates, Drivers etc are included)...With the MDT is runs over 30 Minutes and then I have to install updates separately (with reboots)...
    Friday, August 31, 2012 10:51 AM
  • you can add that sysprepped image as custom image to MDT and it won't have to install all those updates again.

thats why you first make an image with all your customizations updates etc and then capture that image. to spare time in your next deployments.

they changed the way of installing images when you use MDT2012 with ADK it will use imagex or dism to apply your image instead of setup.exe.

if you want to keep using your way. then i would check if you have a BCDboot entry and if not create one with bcdboot.

take a loot at applying images with imagex

Friday, August 31, 2012 11:09 AM
  • ok, I didn't recognized that there's an update...

Can you explain how I have to proceed in the right way to add my custom-image?!

I have already captured an image using imagex. Now I have to import the wim-file into the Deployment-Workbench as "custom image file"?! I choose the option "Setup and Sysprep files are not needed"...If I run now via PXE into the WDS it still asks me if I want to install applikations etc...

I want MDT just to apply the image to the new machine (all settings, applications etc are already installed)...without any user-interaction...

Friday, August 31, 2012 12:54 PM
  • if you make a few changes to your customsettings.ini that can be easily arranged.

i will post a example of a cs.ini where it is fully automated.

[Settings]
    Priority=TaskSequenceID, Default
    Properties=MyCustomProperty

[Default]
    _SMSTSORGNAME=Company

OSInstall=Y
    DoNotCreateExtraPartition=Yes
    SkipAdminPassword=YES
    SkipApplications=YES
    SkipAppsOnUpgrade=YES
    SkipBitLocker=YES
    SkipBitLockerDetails=YES
    SkipTaskSequence=YES
    SkipCapture=YES
    SkipComputerBackup=YES
    SkipComputerName=YES
    SkipDeploymentType=YES
    SkipDomainMembership=YES
    SkipFinalSummary=NO
    SkipLocaleSelection=YES
    SkipPackageDisplay=YES
    SkipProductKey=YES
    SkipSummary=YES
    SkipTimeZone=YES
    SkipUserData=YES
    UserDataLocation=NONE
    TaskSequenceID=Windows2008R2

KeyboardLocale=en-US
    UILanguage=en-US
    UserLocale=nl-nl
    TimeZoneName="W. Europe Standard Time"
    TimeZone=110

with these settings a client pc would boot and instantly choose the tasksequence provided in the "TaskSequenceID="

or you can choose to just ad SkipApplications=YES to your cs.ini so that it will skip the applications pane.

Good luck

Friday, August 31, 2012 1:05 PM