AppV 4.6 package unable to use newer Adobe Reader version installed locally RRS feed

• Question

• We have a web app (Java installed in bubble) that has been chugging along for quite sometime now.  The only issue we have seen is that we are not able to install newer versions of reader for use with reporting inside the app.  When we install 10 or 11 we get the error "There is a problem with Adobe Acrobat/Reader.  If it is running, please exit and try again. (523:523). 

This package was originally sequenced on 4.5 (forget the SP) and we currently have 4.6 sp2 installed.  The original sequencer was XP SP3, was up to date on it's patches and had Adobe Reader 9.0 installed locally.  During the sequence, we ran a report to capture this connection.

Now we are experiencing this issue and need to update the package and I have a couple questions I am hoping to get answers too.

Is there a way to fix this without having to update the sequence?  I have already tried to disable protected mode and enhanced security.

If I need to update, is it enough to install 11 locally and run a report in the sequence?  I have plans to redo the sequence to get Win7 x64 support but don't want to do that yet as I will need to redo it down the road when the app needs a newer version of JRE.  Also, am a little leary of updating as I do not have a test environment and am not able to perform a good test before going to prod.

Any assistance will be appreciated.

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 6:29 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Verify if there are any areas within the current package that might conflict and / or cause issues with a  native installation

Have you verified that Protected Mode was disabled if Adobe is started within the Virtual Environment?

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

• Marked as answer by MikeBouchard Friday, March 22, 2013 6:05 PM
    Wednesday, March 20, 2013 7:44 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Verify if there are any areas within the current package that might conflict and / or cause issues with a  native installation

Have you verified that Protected Mode was disabled if Adobe is started within the Virtual Environment?

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

• Marked as answer by MikeBouchard Friday, March 22, 2013 6:05 PM
    Wednesday, March 20, 2013 7:44 PM
  • Thank you, learn something new everyday.  I had been opening the locally installed reader and manually changing the setting there, but it did take.  I then opened reader from within the bubble and it wasn't changed there.  I did find that putting in a policy setting on the PC to turn protected mode off worked.  So, don't need to update the package to get this working.  

Thanks.
    Friday, March 22, 2013 6:05 PM