Trusted Platform Module has malfunctioned, error code 80090016 RRS feed

Answers

• He was waiting for a flight so I only had about 30 min. Cut my losses and created him a new user profile. Working fine but still curious to see what would cause this???
    • Marked as answer by GlenTech83 Friday, November 1, 2019 3:15 PM
    Thursday, October 31, 2019 8:22 PM

All replies

• He was waiting for a flight so I only had about 30 min. Cut my losses and created him a new user profile. Working fine but still curious to see what would cause this???
    • Marked as answer by GlenTech83 Friday, November 1, 2019 3:15 PM
    Thursday, October 31, 2019 8:22 PM
  • Hi,

I'm glad to see you have fixed your problem and thanks for your sharing.

>> but still curious to see what would cause this???

This issue may be caused by the factors below:

1. Corruption of Ngc folder: In most of the cases, the error message occurs when the contents of the Ngc folder on your system are corrupted. This folder is responsible for holding the files that are accountable for your system’s protection.
    2. Third-party Applications: Another potential factor that can result in the emergence of the error message is third-party applications. Usually, the request is interfered by the background processes due to which Windows fails to set up a PIN for you.

>>Renamed the folder here “C:\users\$dir\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.AAD.BrokerPlugin_cw5n1h2txyewy”

This needs to be done with the affected user logged off, i.e log on as a different admin user or do it from a network share.  the folder will get recreated when the user logs on next. Then start Outlook, you will need to enter password again, you will get asked to workplace join again "say yes to allow my organization to manage this device"  it may still throw the 'Something went wrong, TPM error' but ignore this and Outlook should continue to load again. The TPM error will only occur once.

By the way, do you mind helping mark your post above and helpful replies as answers so that others who might have a similar question can benefit from your thread? Thanks for your understanding and support.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Friday, November 1, 2019 2:51 AM
  • I did rename that folder while that user was logged out and I used a diff admin account but it didn't work.

>>Renamed the folder here “C:\users\$dir\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.AAD.BrokerPlugin_cw5n1h2txyewy”

Friday, November 1, 2019 3:15 PM
  • Hi,

Here I will provide a brief summary of this post for your information. This will make answer searching in the forum easier!

Request/Expectation:

Trusted Platform Module has malfunctioned, error code 80090016 

Solution Summary:

Create and use a new profile.

Reference Links:

No.

Regards, 

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 14, 2019 6:30 AM