none
How to prevent "Windows 10 Creators Update is on its way" message from appearing?

Question

• As per the title - on testing upgrades of our existing 10586 installs to 14393, the following message appears in Settings, Windows Update:

"Good news! The Windows 10 Creators Update is on its way. Want to be one of the first to get it?"

How do we suppress this message?

Monday, March 20, 2017 3:56 PM

Answers

All replies

• I believe you are insider build and as insider you will see this message.

If you are facing this problem or difficulty, you may share it through Feedback Hub and remember insider build is for testing evaluation.

Monday, March 20, 2017 4:28 PM
  • No, this is not an insider build.

This is on a domain-joined PC, as a domain user. Never been linked to a Microsoft account.

This message seems to appear after the latest cumulative update is installed (taking it to 14393.953.)

Monday, March 20, 2017 4:33 PM
  • Hi Mike Sandells,

That notification seems to be related to KB 4013418. Please uninstall that KB then check the symptom again.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, March 21, 2017 6:43 AM
  • I don't have KB4013418 installed (it's not listed in Programs and Features, Installed Updates). The only updates listed for Windows itself are KB3211320, "Security Update for Adobe Flash Player" and KB4013429.

I've uninstalled KB4013429 and that does indeed make the message go away, but given that avoiding cumulative updates isn't a viable approach for long periods, the question remains: How do we prevent that message appearing for our users when this or subsequent cumulative updates are installed?

Tuesday, March 21, 2017 12:10 PM
  • Hello,

Setting HideMCTLink DWORD to 1 at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsUpdate\UX\Settings should remove that message.

Regards.

Microsoft MVP (Windows and Devices for IT)

Windows Insider MVP

Windows Help & Support [www.kapilarya.com]

Tuesday, March 21, 2017 3:19 PM
  • Thanks, that's got it.
    Wednesday, March 22, 2017 9:47 AM
  • ^^ Glad we could help, Good day!

Microsoft MVP (Windows and Devices for IT)

Windows Insider MVP

Windows Help & Support [www.kapilarya.com]

Wednesday, March 22, 2017 9:56 AM
  • FWIW this message is also showing on my Windows Server 2016 installs.
    Monday, May 8, 2017 6:56 AM