Restore a Permanently Deleted AD User or CI RRS feed

• Question

• Dears,

Is there a way to restore a permanently deleted AD User or CI ? I deleted a user account from the CI area and from the deleted Items area.

Can we change the ObjectStatus in the CMDB ?

Thanks.

Tarek El-Touny MCTS | MCITP EA | MCSA | Microsoft Student Partner

Tuesday, December 29, 2015 7:20 AM

Answers

• Items, that have been previously marked for deletion(item existing in the deleted Items area), can be restored by Restore-SCSMDeletedItem.

But if the item has been permanently deleted (deleted from the deleted Items area as well), then Deleting the related AD connector and then Recreating that AD connector would surely bring back that deleted user.

But yes, I agree, it will be costly to "Delete the related AD connector and then Recreate that AD connector".

• Marked as answer by Tarek El-Touny Thursday, December 31, 2015 9:29 AM
    Wednesday, December 30, 2015 5:19 AM

All replies

• Dears,

Is there a way to restore a permanently deleted AD User or CI ? I deleted a user account from the CI area and from the deleted Items area.

Can we change the ObjectStatus in the CMDB ?

Thanks.

Hello, you need to use ldp.exe. It can restore deleted objects.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd379509(v=ws.10).aspx

Tuesday, December 29, 2015 7:25 AM
  • Also,  you can use with powershell. for example:

Get-ADObject -Filter {String} -IncludeDeletedObjects | Restore-ADObject              

For example, if you want to restore an accidentally deleted user object with the display name XXXX

Get-ADObject -Filter {displayName -eq "XXXX"} -IncludeDeletedObjects | Restore-ADObject

Tuesday, December 29, 2015 7:27 AM
  • Thank you for your reply, 

The user or CI is not deleted from AD they are deleted from the CMDB

Tuesday, December 29, 2015 7:29 AM
  • what kind of cmdb do you have? it's sql database?
    It can be different ways, cmdb can be mainframe or something like that.

If your database is in full recovery mode you can recover data either by truncated, deleted or dropped table or record.

If i cleary understood your CMDB is first on which created users or CI which replicated to AD.

• Edited by TechSpark0 Tuesday, December 29, 2015 11:22 AM
    Tuesday, December 29, 2015 11:12 AM
  • Items, that have been previously marked for deletion(item existing in the deleted Items area), can be restored by Restore-SCSMDeletedItem.

But if the item has been permanently deleted (deleted from the deleted Items area as well), then Deleting the related AD connector and then Recreating that AD connector would surely bring back that deleted user.

But yes, I agree, it will be costly to "Delete the related AD connector and then Recreate that AD connector".

• Marked as answer by Tarek El-Touny Thursday, December 31, 2015 9:29 AM
    Wednesday, December 30, 2015 5:19 AM

Many thanks for your reply .. Not sure If I can remove the AD connector now .. yeah it will be costly .. is there anything I can do in the CMDB ? is the user there but marked as deleted ? can I change the ObjectStatus ?

If I created the User manually will it correspond to the AD Account ?.

Thanks.

Wednesday, December 30, 2015 10:26 AM
  • AD Connector is deleted and created again .. the user is restored :)

Thanks

Thursday, December 31, 2015 7:01 AM