problem since Exch 2007 SP2 Rollup2 applied RRS feed

• Question

• This morning I applied Rollup 2 to E2K7 SP2. We are now getting some errors when trying to open emails with Outlook. All my users have Outlook 2003, I am trialling Outlook 2010 Beta. When one of the users forwards an email with an Open Office (.odt file) attachment when I try and open the email I get a popup saying - 'Cannot open this item' (typically unhelpful MS error message).

If I right-click on the same message and choose reply or forward, then a message bubble appears by the toolbar icon saying: - Could not complete the operation. One or more parameter values are not valid.

Earlier on this morning a user could not open a reply that I sent to her after applying the rollup. When I forwarded the sent item to her again she couldn't open that either.

I also tried moving the message to a folder in my .pst personal folders but was still unable to open the message.

So far only a few incidences but I am worried that this may keep happening.

Anyone any ideas as to a) why this may be happening b) any diagnostics to aid discovery c) any way round it?

I.T. Manager International House London
    • Edited by Maurice_Reed Tuesday, February 2, 2010 1:45 PM added text
    Tuesday, February 2, 2010 1:43 PM

All replies

• Since posting the above I have had a few more calls from users suffering this problem. The common factor seems to be 'forwarding'.

Person A receives an email and then forwards to person B. Person B cannot open the forwarded message but A can still open the original. Attachments do not appear to be involved as this has happened with or without attachments.

As far as I can tell so far it happens when person A receives an email from outside of the organistation and forwards it on to someone else with the organisation.

I have a single domain with one mailserver running E2K7 64bit SP2 Rollup 2 on Server 2008 64bit(NOT 2008 R2). Approx 134 mailboxes and clients all with Outlook 2003 running on XP apart from me trialling Office 2010 beta.

I have sent emails from my hotmail accout and a small domain which uses the freebie Mailenable server to my account and have forwarded them on and they have been readable. So far I have not been able to pin down a common factor.

Can someone please advise urgently otherwise I may have to try and uninstall the Rollup and I am NOT looking forward to trying that.
    Tuesday, February 2, 2010 4:51 PM
  • Maurice - Is this happening only for .odt attachments or for any types of attachments?
    Tuesday, February 2, 2010 7:00 PM
  • Hi, no as I mentioned above:-

"Since posting the above I have had a few more calls from users suffering this problem. The common factor seems to be 'forwarding'.

Person A receives an email and then forwards to person B. Person B cannot open the forwarded message but A can still open the original. Attachments do not appear to be involved as this has happened with or without attachments."

Specifically it seems to happen when an email is received from OUTSIDE the domain and forwarded to another inside the domain.

---------------------
    *Further info.
    Yesterday two staff members used OWA from home to send emails to other members of staff. In the first case the message had NO attachments and was sent to three internal users NONE of whom could open the message. In the second case another member of staff used OWA from home and sent three emails, each with a single attachment, to another mailbox to which she has access. On arrival at work she WAS able to read the 3 emails but when she forwarded them the forwarded messages could not be read.

I am try to pin down exactly what is happening but it is hard to spot a specific action/area of operation.

*note EXBPA runs ok - no errors and nothing showing in the Application or System logs either.

• Edited by Maurice_Reed Wednesday, February 3, 2010 8:49 AM added further info
    Wednesday, February 3, 2010 8:05 AM
  • Any suggestions anyone? Anyone from Microsoft have any ideas as what this may be?

The E2K7 system has been running sweetly since migration from E2K3 and this is the first hint of any problem.

Have tried to replicate the problem to no avail.

Thursday, February 4, 2010 8:25 AM
  • hello....anybody there?

Does anyone from MS read these posts? If so can someone please make some suggestions otherwise what is the point of this forum?
    Friday, February 5, 2010 8:13 AM
  • I feel like I'm talking to myself here.

have bitten the bullet and uninstalled Rollup 2.

Monitoring the situation. So far the messages that previously refused to open still refuse to open. So, I just hope that from now that New emails do not do the same.
    Friday, February 5, 2010 10:49 AM
  • hi,

how about trying to uninstall the rollup 2 for exchange 2007 SP2 & see if it solves ur problem...
    Friday, February 5, 2010 3:05 PM
  • See my last post just prior to yours..
    Friday, February 5, 2010 3:35 PM