none
Gantt Chart Summary Bars RRS feed

• Question

• How do you show summary bars for filtered task only rather than the bar showing the whole project. For example, I have an activity that has 10 tasks but I only want the summary bar to be the length of task 2 and 8 and not the whole activity

Many thanks for your help.

Planner58

Friday, November 10, 2017 8:44 AM

All replies

• Planner58,

Well, the Summary Bar is the Summary Bar for all tasks below it. That's how it works, to the best of my knowledge. So what you want to do is not as simple you may expect and perhaps for good reason. For example, if you were to be able to that, then it's possible the Task Name for the Summary would be invalid if only for a subset. 

• What you could do is mark all the Tasks that are not to be included in the Summary Bar as [Active]=No, and then filter only on [Active]=Yes. Doing that, though, take note that the text you setup for the Summary Bar is still reflective of the summary it represents.
    • Another way would be to set the desired tasks 2 and 8 inside their own summary bar called "Summary of Task 2 and 8" below the overall Summary, then filter to only show that.

Both of the above options kinda "fudge" the project model, though, and I don't really recommend doing that. I'd live with the Summary being the Summary. 

I guess if it's for presentation purposes doing this sort of thing, I'd do the computations in Project (dates, task names, etc.), the copy paste the image into PowerPoint or something, then edit the image to change the length of the summary task.

--rms www.rmschneider.com

• Edited by Rob Schneider Friday, November 10, 2017 11:08 AM typo
    Friday, November 10, 2017 11:07 AM
  • Planner58,

Rob's answer is right on the money but let me suggest another approach. Project's grouping feature will give you exactly what you want. Identify the subtasks you want to include by using an extra field (e.g. Text, Number, Flag, etc.). Then group on those tasks. Project automatically creates a group summary line for just those tasks.

Hope this helps.

John

Friday, November 10, 2017 2:13 PM
  • Ah yes, that's a good idea to use Groups. 

--rms www.rmschneider.com

Friday, November 10, 2017 2:30 PM
  • Thank you both for your help
    Monday, November 13, 2017 12:36 PM
  • Planner58,

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback.

John

Monday, November 13, 2017 2:08 PM