Problem with network adapter following upgrade to Windows 10 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Since upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 I have been unable to access the internet via a wireless connection and have to use an Ethernet cable directly from my Sky broadband router into my computer. As soon as I unplug the cable, I have no internet. This is the message I get when I run troubleshooter:

"The Qualcomm Atheros AR5006GS wireless network adapter is experiencing driver or hardware related problems."

On accessing the properties of the driver, there are various messages such as in device status:

This device cannot start. (Code 10)

and in events:

Device PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_001B&SUBSYS_530111AD&REV_01\4&342363c1&0&10F0 requires further installation.

I have already tried to update the driver software, but it tells me it is currently up to date.

My computer is a 2009 64-bit OS Packard Bell.

Is there any way to solve this problem? If not, will taking my computer back to factory settings uninstall Windows 10, because I would be quite happy to do that to get everything back in working order!

I am considering buying a new computer, but I am also concerned that if I were to buy a new one, I would still have the same issue since my Sky router equipment (including adapter) would still be the same. Do I need to contact Sky to ask for new equipment in order to ensure compatibility? I just think there should be a simpler solution and I am grateful for any help provided.

Thanks,

Dawn

Sunday, June 12, 2016 2:07 PM

Answers

• Hi dawn82,

What is the exact machine model?

For your wireless adapter, I have found the following Windows 10 driver, I hope it will be useful.
    Download Qualcomm Atheros wireless driver
    https://www.atheros-drivers.com/download-driver-for-Atheros-chipset-with-id-32-and-Windows10-64bit.html

"But on their official website they state that they do not offer upgrades"
    To make a device work well, we should get compatible drivers and the drivers are released by the device manufacturer. If the device manufacturer hasn`t released the Windows 10 compabile drivers for your machine model. We may need to revert back to previous version until we get Windows 10 compatible drivers.

NOTE: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites.

Best regards

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, June 14, 2016 6:42 AM

All replies

• More often than not when a device isn't working it is because the driver has become corrupted. Re-installing a fresh copy should help

Completely remove the current driver and install the newest driver available.  For instructions on how to do that Read all about updating drivers by my partner JMH3143 here http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_other-hardware/updating-a-driver/a5e6345e-af9b-4099-bef0-8d22254aa1c1?tm=1436753520149

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Update-a-driver-for-hardware-that-isnt-working-properly?SignedIn=1

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag Windows IT-PRO (MS-MVP)

Sunday, June 12, 2016 2:12 PM
  • Thanks for your quick reply. I visited your partner's webpage and followed their instructions. Firstly, I tried to search for an update from the device manufacturer, which I assume to be Qualcomm. But on their official website they state that they do not offer upgrades. 

I tried the Packard Bell website, but unfortunately I do not know which product version of the iExtreme series I own, and can't seem to find this in my system information either. There were also no downloads that I could specifically point out as the correct driver. For example, there were downloads for "wireless LAN drivers" by vendors such as "Pro-Nets" and "Liteon" but I'm not sure they are specific enough or if they even relate to the same thing?

I tried the link from your partner's webpage that was called the driver reference table. Unfortunately, all links relating to my AR5006GS driver led me to webpages that either don't exist, or the Qualcomm page I had already tried that stated they don't supply upgrades.

This led me to type the driver name directly into google and I downloaded some drivers from less official sites (unadvisable I know). Unfortunately, the zip files I downloaded contained no .exe files, so I am unable to launch the file in the traditional way, even after uninstalling the network adapter as your partner's webpage suggests. I then tried to "browse my computer for driver software" and direct Windows to the folder I'd downloaded to see if I could install it that way, but this of course, involved being able to right click on the driver itself therefore I couldn't uninstall the driver first. This did work, but it still said there was a problem with the driver. Is there a way of uninstalling the driver and installing a new one from a folder that doesn't contain an .exe file without having to right click on a current driver? Hope this makes sense!

Thanks for your help.

Sunday, June 12, 2016 4:51 PM
  • Dawn

Generally speaking the driver is probably just corrupt.  If you go into device manager (win Key +"X">device manager) go to the networking tab>find the qualcomm driver>right click it>uninstall>reboot.  It will install a clean copy of the correct driver.

Sunday, June 12, 2016 5:05 PM
  • Sorry, forgot to say I already tried that. When I restart the computer it's back but still not working. It says device cannot start - code 10. 
    Sunday, June 12, 2016 5:23 PM
  • This (PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_001B&SUBSYS_530111AD) is either Qualcomm, Atheros or realtek.  If the device cannot start it is either the driver or the hardware itself.  Have you completely uninstalled the driver?  Have you run a system file check?  Have you tried booting into safe mode?

We need more info about your computer and more logs

Please read this wiki to find out how to find and upload your event viewer logs

Please run a system file check (SFC) & DISM  if you are on win 8 or higher

All instructions are in our Wiki article below...
    Should you have any questions please ask us.

Sunday, June 12, 2016 5:39 PM
  • Thanks for your help, I appreciate it, but I'm afraid I haven't got the time to look into this at the moment. I'll try and get back to it some time this week.

Dawn

Sunday, June 12, 2016 5:49 PM
  • Hi dawn82,

What is the exact machine model?

For your wireless adapter, I have found the following Windows 10 driver, I hope it will be useful.
    Download Qualcomm Atheros wireless driver
    https://www.atheros-drivers.com/download-driver-for-Atheros-chipset-with-id-32-and-Windows10-64bit.html

"But on their official website they state that they do not offer upgrades"
    To make a device work well, we should get compatible drivers and the drivers are released by the device manufacturer. If the device manufacturer hasn`t released the Windows 10 compabile drivers for your machine model. We may need to revert back to previous version until we get Windows 10 compatible drivers.

NOTE: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites.

Best regards

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, June 14, 2016 6:42 AM