Issue Activating trials of Server 2008 R2 Enterprise & Server 2012 R2 Datacenter Editions RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Friends,

I have been using the trial version of 2008R2 Enterprise & 2012 Datacenter edition in my lab for practice. I had created a sysprep with generalize option and was using multiple machines for different practicals and they were getting activated properly  with a 6 months license.

Recently, I tried to activate the new installations to replace my DCs in the lab however found issues while activating. Initially, I though that it could be something with the sysprep but found the same issue with the new installation of the server as well. Tried activating 2008 R2 Enterprise, 2012 & 2012 R2 Datacenter editions and none of them are getting activated as a trial. Could you please let me know what is happening as per the screenshot or MS has changed the policy for trial version as well

• Edited by Server 20XX Saturday, October 10, 2015 7:24 PM
    Saturday, October 10, 2015 7:21 PM

Answers

• It is not necessary. 2008 evaluation comes with a preassigned key, 2012 will automatically get an evaluation key from internet.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

• Edited by Dave PatrickMVP Sunday, October 18, 2015 8:33 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Amy Wang_ Monday, October 26, 2015 7:53 AM
    • Marked as answer by Amy Wang_ Monday, November 9, 2015 3:25 PM
    Sunday, October 18, 2015 6:24 PM

All replies

• Something here may help.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929826

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj574204.aspx

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Saturday, October 10, 2015 9:57 PM
  • Hello Dave,

Thank you for the reply. I don't have any KMS in the environment, neither it was there earlier when my lab virtual machines were getting properly activated.

This is just a simple environment with base OS and then test lab for practice. I did try the second link with few keys available on MS links for trial, however it didn't work either.

Earlier, I simply used to install an image from ISO>> used to do a sysprep>> Copy the sysprep for new VM as it was a generic sysprep>> Configure it and simple activation via computer properties as activate now.

I am not sure why this issue is happening even if tried it after disabling the security software.

Any ideas? I am not sure if I am the only one facing such issues but I don't see much replies in the MS forum for any thread, in comparison to other technical forums.

Saturday, October 17, 2015 3:59 PM
  • If the server is a domain controller, you cannot convert it to a retail version. In this case, install an additional domain controller on a server that runs a retail version and remove AD DS from the domain controller that runs on the evaluation version. For more information, see http://technet.microsoft.com/library/hh994618.aspx

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Saturday, October 17, 2015 6:38 PM
  • Hello Dave,

Servers are just a fresh installation neither DC nor a member server either. Do we have any special forum for Activation?

Regards

Sunday, October 18, 2015 4:25 PM
  • Where did you get the licenses? Are you using MAK or KMS keys? You might also try using the vendor supplied installation media rather than evaluation media.

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Sunday, October 18, 2015 4:31 PM
  • I have downloaded the trial ISO from MS. I don't have as such any license, I used to activate then as already mentioned above without entering any license info.

As of now, I have tried few keys as mentioned in few articles of technet but it din't work.

Sunday, October 18, 2015 5:40 PM
  • It is not necessary. 2008 evaluation comes with a preassigned key, 2012 will automatically get an evaluation key from internet.

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

• Edited by Dave PatrickMVP Sunday, October 18, 2015 8:33 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Amy Wang_ Monday, October 26, 2015 7:53 AM
    • Marked as answer by Amy Wang_ Monday, November 9, 2015 3:25 PM
    Sunday, October 18, 2015 6:24 PM
  • Still no luck after research. Any other way for 2008R2 & 2012 R2. Just now one of the 2012 got activated so not sure what is happening.
    Sunday, January 3, 2016 4:59 PM
  • Hello Friend,

I have found the solution to my problem. I am using a lab on Vmware Workstation 9. Earlier, I used to use the network type as Bridged with replicate option checked under it>> Later on Windows 8.1 didn't allow to use the internet with Bridged option so I was using NAT then.

At the time of problem, the option was NAT on Windows 7>> Internet is working fine though not sure why it was giving activation errors. When I switched to Bridged mode then I am able to activate my trial versions the way I used to before.

Either of you facing the same issue then try to change your Network Adaptor Setting for the virtual machine. For few it should get activated via Bridged mode else NAT mode. Depends upon the OS & VMware versionl. M not sure why but this is the resolution and hence this thread can be closed.

I am not sure why there weren't much replies other than "Dave Patrick", may be this is the reason Linux forums are much active.

Thank you Dave Patrick, for your help. Enjoy the new year :)

Sunday, January 10, 2016 1:28 PM