none
Cannot Update OS Images from WDS after MDT 2013 Update 2... RRS feed

• Question

• When I attempt to update the Operating System images in MDT from our WDS server, I get the following error:

VERBOSE: Performing operation "import" on Target "Operating system".
    import-mdtoperatingsystem : Unable to enumerate images on WDS server CHLWDS01.  This may occur if the server is not
    configured to run WDS or if the WDS service is not running.
    At line:1 char:1
    + import-mdtoperatingsystem -path "DS001:\Operating Systems" -WDSServer "WDSSERVER" ...
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Import-MDTOperatingSystem], Win32Exception
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception,Microsoft.BDD.PSSnapIn.ImportOperatingSystem

This only began after I have installed the MDT 2013 Update 2 (we were on Update 1 previously).

Thanks,

MRaybone

Thursday, January 28, 2016 5:10 PM

Answers

• Ok well the server was running Server 2008 R2. I decided to take the "hit it with a massive hammer approach" and upgraded it to Server 2012 R2. It works now.

Not a great 'fix' for anyone else who has this issue, but something to keep in mind all the same.

• Marked as answer by MRaybone_iPipe Thursday, February 4, 2016 11:06 AM
    Thursday, February 4, 2016 11:06 AM

All replies

• That error is the PowerShell error, MDT generates this error via the wizard:

Performing operation "import" on Target "Operating system".

System.Management.Automation.CmdletInvocationException: Unable to enumerate images on WDS server WDSSERVER.  This may occur if the server is not configured to run WDS or if the WDS service is not running.
    ---> System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: Unable to enumerate images on WDS server WDSSERVER.  This may occur if the server is not configured to run WDS or if the WDS service is not running.

at Microsoft.BDD.PSSnapIn.WDSInfo..ctor(String wdsServer)
    at Microsoft.BDD.PSSnapIn.Verifier.AddWDSImages(String wdsServer)
    at Microsoft.BDD.PSSnapIn.ImportOperatingSystem.ProcessRecord()
    at System.Management.Automation.CommandProcessor.ProcessRecord()
    --- End of inner exception stack trace ---

at System.Management.Automation.Internal.PipelineProcessor.SynchronousExecuteEnumerate(Object input, Hashtable errorResults, Boolean enumerate)

at System.Management.Automation.Runspaces.LocalPipeline.InvokeHelper()
    at System.Management.Automation.Runspaces.LocalPipeline.InvokeThreadProc()

Thursday, January 28, 2016 5:31 PM
  • My experience has been that this just works.  As the error says is WDS configured correctly?

Logs are very important. https://keithga.wordpress.com/2014/10/24/video-mdt-2013-log-files-basics-bdd-log-and-smsts-log/ Mention any customizations you have made.

Friday, January 29, 2016 12:56 AM
  • WDS was working perfectly. MDT 2013 was updated from Update 1 to Update 2 and then this started.
    Friday, January 29, 2016 4:03 PM
  • Hi there,

I am a bit confused, what direction is the import going. From your wording it sounds as if you are importing from images stored within the wds infrastructure which is fair enough if it is the case. However would it not be better to create and capture in mdt and then import to wds. The assumption is that you are using wds to deploy your images rather than mdt. Eg they are independent of each other rather than mdt task sequences being delivered with the combined solution of litetouch and wds for pxe boot.

If I am correct would it not be better to keep the original image in mdt and when it needs updated, using mdt update and recapture. You can then delete the one in wds and reimport the new image from the mdt share? Also if you have gone to the trouble of having both components available, why not use them together?

If I am talking rubbish then please ignore.

Ewen.

Saturday, January 30, 2016 12:22 AM
  • Maybe I'm doing this is a weird manner, but it isn't important as what used to work before Update 2 now doesn't.  However...

I capture an image using MDT.
    I put that image into WDS.
    Then using MDT, I import images from WDS into MDT (a perfectly legitimate and available option via the MDT GUI), create task sequences and using PXE, boot from the WDS server, deploy images.

That's how I read to do it.  Maybe this is considered wrong?  I might have to look at adding images to MDT directly instead of from WDS.  I still don't like the thought that Powershell now cannot 'talk' to WDS after the Update 2.

Wednesday, February 3, 2016 11:41 AM
  • Is the WDS image failing to import for both GUI and powershell?  When I done this I have had success with the GUI.

Logs are very important. https://keithga.wordpress.com/2014/10/24/video-mdt-2013-log-files-basics-bdd-log-and-smsts-log/ Mention any customizations you have made.

Wednesday, February 3, 2016 11:56 AM
  • GUI was failing - all that's doing is running Powershell so I tried running the commands myself and got the same error. I tried opening up the privileges on the WDS folder and WDS itself, ensuring an administrative prompt was being used to run the commands but still the same issue.

The failure is merely the action of expanding the WDS tree in the GUI and looking at the contents. Powershell suddenly seems to be failing to do that after the MDT 2013 Update 2.  Only other thing I can think of is a security patch breaking things?

Wednesday, February 3, 2016 12:22 PM
  • Ok well the server was running Server 2008 R2. I decided to take the "hit it with a massive hammer approach" and upgraded it to Server 2012 R2. It works now.

Not a great 'fix' for anyone else who has this issue, but something to keep in mind all the same.

• Marked as answer by MRaybone_iPipe Thursday, February 4, 2016 11:06 AM
    Thursday, February 4, 2016 11:06 AM