none
preventing file overwrite/share conflict in peeer to peer windows 7 homegroup/local file share RRS feed

• Question

• HI All,

We have set up three users in a home network where one person holds all the files on their PC and that folder is shared for access to everyone.  It is a remote location so no need to have it too locked down.  I haven't created a homegroup but can if that changes things.  the issue is that at the moment two people can open the same file at the same time without any message about the file already being in use - then the rule of "last person to save the file" wins.  Is there any way - by settings on the PC, or by using homegroup instead, or by using a third party tool - to prevent this from happening?

Thanks,

JJ

Monday, April 18, 2016 7:51 AM

Answers

• Hi, 

I agree, we can try to disable catching feature and Offline files to avoid this issue: 

Disable offline files you can refer to this guide: 

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-10-sync-center

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information. 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, April 19, 2016 3:26 PM
    Owner

All replies

• Hi JJ,

You can use svn(Subversion) like Tortoise to keep track of what changes were made by whom and pull what you like.

Regards

Anil

Monday, April 18, 2016 9:41 AM
  • Hi, I'm not sure I want the users to have to keep track of who made what changes - i just don't want two people to be able open the same file at the same time.  Like it is if the file is based on a windows server.  That way only one person can make changes at any one time, to avoid conflict.

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks

Monday, April 18, 2016 9:51 AM
  • Hi JJ,

1) please open Computer Management on the system that holds the shared folder.

2) Computer Management -> System Tools -> Shared folders -> Shares

3) 'your Shared folder' -> Properties -> General -> User Limit  =  1

4) do check Offline settings if you need to control offline availability.

Regards

• Proposed as answer by Anil Eapen Monday, April 18, 2016 10:50 AM
    Monday, April 18, 2016 10:38 AM
  • Hi JJ,

If you want to share files with access control of each user, I recommend to use NAS(Network Attached Storage).
    I'm afraid Windows WorkGroup could not satisfy your need.

Regards.
    Monday, April 18, 2016 10:43 AM
  • Thanks, I will try it and let you know
    Monday, April 18, 2016 10:51 AM
  • Hi, 

I agree, we can try to disable catching feature and Offline files to avoid this issue: 

Disable offline files you can refer to this guide: 

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-10-sync-center

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information. 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, April 19, 2016 3:26 PM
    Owner