IE11 Enterprise Mode, how to verify it's working? RRS feed

• Question

• hey all,

i'm testing enterprise mode in IE11 for deployment to our users, enabling via domain GPO.

my results have been hit and miss.. one site shows the enterprise mode icon in the address bar, while a simple test like google.ca does not.

is the address bar icon the only way to verify that enterprise mode is enabled?  i checked my registry and the CURRENT_USER key noted in the instructions below is set, pointing to the XML file that i set in the domain GPO (the LOCAL_MACHINE key was not set), so i'm assuming that my computer is applying the GPO?

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-ca/library/dn640699.aspx

should enterprise mode get enabled for every site saved in the site list, regardless of how enterprise mode handles/renders the site?  just trying to figure out if it's working with each site even when i don't see the address bar icon.

many thanks!
    Thursday, October 15, 2015 11:58 AM

Answers

• Hi,

The websites should show as enterprise mode if you add them right. Try using enterprise mode site list manager for that.

Add sites to the Enterprise Mode site list using the Enterprise Mode Site List Manager

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn640689.aspx

Add multiple sites to the Enterprise Mode site list using a file and Enterprise Mode Site List Manager

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn640696.aspx

Regards,

D. Wu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Michael_LS Monday, November 9, 2015 4:42 AM
    • Marked as answer by Michael_LS Monday, November 9, 2015 9:27 AM
    Tuesday, October 20, 2015 2:00 AM

All replies

• Hi Matt2662,

For IE8 enterprise mode, yes, you can simply verify it by the enterprise icon in the address bar. Alternatively, you can press F12 to open developer toolbar, go to Emulation tab and observe whether the profile option is "Enterprise".

Considering the Enterprise Mode site list manager now can manage 9 modes, the enterprise icon only appears for the "IE8 Enterprise mode". It would be better to take advantage of the F12 developer toolbar to verify whether the site list takes effect.

Default mode: F12 -> Network -> Observe whether the user agent starts with: "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3"

IE8 Enterprise Mode: Observe whether the enterprise icon appears in the address bar

IE7 Enterprise Mode: F12 -> Network -> Observe whether the user agent starts with: "MSIE 7.0"

IE5~11 Document Mode: F12 -> Emulation -> Document Mode

Cheers

Friday, October 16, 2015 3:33 PM
  • Hi Matt2662,

For IE8 enterprise mode, yes, you can simply verify it by the enterprise icon in the address bar. Alternatively, you can press F12 to open developer toolbar, go to Emulation tab and observe whether the profile option is "Enterprise".

Considering the Enterprise Mode site list manager now can manage 9 modes, the enterprise icon only appears for the "IE8 Enterprise mode". It would be better to take advantage of the F12 developer toolbar to verify whether the site list takes effect.

Default mode: F12 -> Network -> Observe whether the user agent starts with: "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3"

IE8 Enterprise Mode: Observe whether the enterprise icon appears in the address bar

IE7 Enterprise Mode: F12 -> Network -> Observe whether the user agent starts with: "MSIE 7.0"

IE5~11 Document Mode: F12 -> Emulation -> Document Mode

Cheers

thanks, so is it possible that a site may not run in enterprise mode?  ie, site list has the site address added, but the site won't open in enterprise mode?
    Friday, October 16, 2015 4:21 PM
  • to follow up on my last post, i've been playing with the xml file, adding a few sites with default settings (IE8 Enterprise Mode) to the list, and they are not opening in EM, but some are.. i've restarted IE, forced gpupdate, confirmed the xml file is saved where the gp is pointing to, have permissions to that server share..

is this normal?  has anyone run into this?  i need to see some consistent results with these tests before i can roll this out to all users.  again, i'm wondering if it's possible sites just won't open in EM at all...

thanks!

Friday, October 16, 2015 7:52 PM
  • Hi,

The websites should show as enterprise mode if you add them right. Try using enterprise mode site list manager for that.

Add sites to the Enterprise Mode site list using the Enterprise Mode Site List Manager

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn640689.aspx

Add multiple sites to the Enterprise Mode site list using a file and Enterprise Mode Site List Manager

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn640696.aspx

Regards,

D. Wu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Michael_LS Monday, November 9, 2015 4:42 AM
    • Marked as answer by Michael_LS Monday, November 9, 2015 9:27 AM
    Tuesday, October 20, 2015 2:00 AM