windows 7 black screen with mouse in normal mode only RRS feed

• Question

• Windows 7 Ultimate goes to login screen on startup.  After login to any account (which takes longer than normal - normal is pre-issue) the screen goes black and I'm left with a mouse and no keyboard input.  I can boot into any mode except Normal mode - Normal mode is the only mode where I cannot get my desktop.

I tried 'Last known good configuration' and that works until I reboot or shut down the computer, which then goes back to the black screen on startup and login.  Also, when I do utilize the 'Last known good configuration' boot, I lose my network card driver.  That's not a problem because I just reinstall it and I can then connect.

I ran anti-virus with zero results.  I ran Malwarebytes with zero results.  I ran SUPERAntiSpyware with zero results (exempting cookies). 

I have yet to see another post where someone can get into any mode except Normal mode, or keep their 'Last known good configuration' only once before it goes bad/corrupt on them.  I don't know what else to look for.  My registry shows Shell = Explorer.exe, and any other registry checks mentioned in other posts come out valid (nothing to change/update).

What should I do short of reinstalling Windows?

George, Shorty

Wednesday, June 11, 2014 3:24 AM

Answers

All replies

• I shall suggest you to go through the following thread:

windows 7 black screen with only the mouse pointer showing

S.Sengupta, Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP

• Marked as answer by Shorty George Friday, June 13, 2014 4:47 PM
    Wednesday, June 11, 2014 3:28 AM
  • Hi,

Besides that, you also could try startup repair to fix this issue.

Startup Repair

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows7/products/features/startup-repair

Karen Hu
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Shorty George Friday, June 13, 2014 4:47 PM
    Thursday, June 12, 2014 6:51 AM
  • Both responses were for the same thing: windows repair.  That ultimately ended up being the option I went with which worked when all other options failed.  It took quite a while to fix, but the repair did work.  Thank you!

I don't know why in all my searching that the suggestion for windows repair did not surface - it was never in my search results.  Again, thanks to S.Sengupta and Karen Hu for providing the answer that worked!

George, Shorty

Friday, June 13, 2014 4:50 PM