none
Issues reconnecting client to Server 2012 Essentials R2 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have been trying to reconnect a windows 7 Pro system to a Server 2012 essentials R2.  The system has been connected before, and I trying to use the same user account as before as well.  Every time I run the connector, it appears to see the server, asks for credentials, then proceeds to set up.  after about 15min it fails with the message: "The server is unavailable, try connecting this computer again."  The server is visible in windows Network.  This is with a fresh load of windows 7 and no active antivirus setup yet.  Another problem (and probably the primary one) is the server doesn't see all the clients as being connected in the dashboard, only some.  The system is on, logged in to the domain and can access all the shared folders, but dashboard shows it as offline.  The server is up to date as of 10/13/2016.  The clients are all windows 7 Professional x64 SP1 with norton security 2015 installed.  The router used is a Linksys WRT1200AC.

I have the client deploy logs but they are too big to post inline here.  Let me know what you need to know in it or I can mail it to anyone willing to help.  Thanks a bunch.

Thursday, October 13, 2016 4:03 PM

Answers

• Hi,

According to your description, my understanding is that windows 7 failed to connect to Windows Server Essentials 2012 R2 with error "The server is unavailable, try connecting this computer again."

Make sure that your client’s Preferred DNS Server is configured as the Essentials Server’s IP address. Disable IPv6 temporarily if it is not in used. Then, try connect again. 

If the problem persists, please provide related log files – Computerconnector.log and ClientDeploy.log, which are located on “%programdata%\Microsoft\Windows Server\Logs\” on the client. You may upload the log files to OneDrive(https://onedrive.live.com/), share them and provide me the access link.

>”the server doesn't see all the clients as being connected in the dashboard”, ”but dashboard shows it as offline”.  
    Disable any 3rd party process/program temporarily, including anti-virus program, and Windows Firewall, then check the result. 

As far as I know, if there is no response from ARP, the client will be shown as offline on Dashboard, try to clear ARP cache on client side. Open CMD on the problematic client, type below command and end with enter:
    netsh interface ip delete arpcache

Try manually renew IP address of the client. Open CMD on the problematic client, type below command and each line end with enter: 
    Ipconfig /release
    Ipconfig /renew

Check DNS for the Host A or AAAA record. Ensure the machine is properly updating DNS with their IP address. Enable “Client for Microsoft Networks” and “File and Print Sharing” on the NIC Properties if they are not already.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, October 14, 2016 8:13 AM

All replies

• Hi,

According to your description, my understanding is that windows 7 failed to connect to Windows Server Essentials 2012 R2 with error "The server is unavailable, try connecting this computer again."

Make sure that your client’s Preferred DNS Server is configured as the Essentials Server’s IP address. Disable IPv6 temporarily if it is not in used. Then, try connect again. 

If the problem persists, please provide related log files – Computerconnector.log and ClientDeploy.log, which are located on “%programdata%\Microsoft\Windows Server\Logs\” on the client. You may upload the log files to OneDrive(https://onedrive.live.com/), share them and provide me the access link.

>”the server doesn't see all the clients as being connected in the dashboard”, ”but dashboard shows it as offline”.  
    Disable any 3rd party process/program temporarily, including anti-virus program, and Windows Firewall, then check the result. 

As far as I know, if there is no response from ARP, the client will be shown as offline on Dashboard, try to clear ARP cache on client side. Open CMD on the problematic client, type below command and end with enter:
    netsh interface ip delete arpcache

Try manually renew IP address of the client. Open CMD on the problematic client, type below command and each line end with enter: 
    Ipconfig /release
    Ipconfig /renew

Check DNS for the Host A or AAAA record. Ensure the machine is properly updating DNS with their IP address. Enable “Client for Microsoft Networks” and “File and Print Sharing” on the NIC Properties if they are not already.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, October 14, 2016 8:13 AM
  • Hi,

I am checking to see how things are going there on this issue. Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Monday, October 31, 2016 2:22 AM