HotFix 375531 installation issue RRS feed

• Question

• I downloaded HotFix 375531 from KB968730 from Microsoft and it downloaded fine.  I'm also using Windows XP 64-Bit with Service pack 2

When I run it I get Setup Error, "You do not have permission to update Windows XP Version 2003, Please contact your system administrator.

I have local administrator right to the box.  I have tried another account on the box that is only locally and not on a domain.  I can't figure out how to get past this and what I don't have permission to update.

Also is there a way that I can extract the files in the EXE and then manually update it?  So any help would be terrific.

Tuesday, December 13, 2011 4:39 PM

All replies

• Originally I thought perhaps your domain admin might have made it very restrictive as described in the second scenario in KB951244:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/951244

but when re-reading your post, I noticed "Windows XP Version 2003".  Are you running the older Windows XP 64-Bit Edition Version 2003, the OS designed specifically for workstations with Itanium processors?

I have yet seen similar error message on systems running Windows XP Professional x64.

Wednesday, December 14, 2011 12:00 AM
  • The OS is reporting in System Properties that says that it is Microsoft Windows XP, Professional X64 Edition Version 2003 Service Pack 2.  It is the one that came with my Dell Xeon Workstation.

I'm hoping that my company will upgrade me to Windows 7, but I don't see happening anytime soon.  I would like to be able to encrypt my emails and this hotfix is suppose to fix that.  However, like I said earlier, I can't install the hot fix to fix it.  Now if I can get the individual files that I can install manually then we should be able to do it.

Thank you for any help.

Wednesday, December 14, 2011 1:40 PM
  • OK, it's Xeon, so it's the x64 version (and not ia64/Itanium).

375531 is indeed the correct one, even though it's stated that it's for Win2K3 x64 (but Win2K3 x64 and WinXP x64 are built on the same kernel apparently).

It seems as though your domain admins really locked down the settings via Group Policy to prevent domain users from installing hotfixes/updates.

Ask your domain admins if they would be willing to relax the restrictions for the OU (Organizational Unit) which contains the Active Directory computer account of the computer on which you're trying to install the hotfix.  

If they agree, then they could follow the instructions as described in the second section of KB951244.  However, when doing so, in addition of granting those user rights to the local "Administrators" group (local Administrators group on your computer), they could/should also explicitly grant those same user rights to your domain user account as well (you stated your account has local admin privileges?)

Or best, ask a domain admin to log on to your computer as himself/herself and install the hotfix for you.

Wednesday, December 14, 2011 2:50 PM