Remove User Account Portrait and Fram from logon screen in Windows 7. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I was tasked with deploying a new custom background image for my company's lock and logon screen.

The deployment worked as planned, but because the new background is a bit busier than a simple color, it is confusing to the end-user.

We'd like to be able to remove the user account picture and frame from the logon screen-- to clarify, we'd like to remove the whole frame and not just clear out the account image.  (I've attached an image below to display the goal here.)

Is there a way of doing this via Group Policy?

We don't have this issue with our Windows 10 PCs, just the Windows 7 systems.

Any assistance in this matter would be greatly appreciated!

Matthew J. Fazio

Wednesday, February 22, 2017 10:16 PM

Answers

• Hi Matthew Fazio,

Thank you for your reply.

Based on my search and test, it doesn’t include the GP for remove the frame. It only includes get rid of the picture. I understand your working environment, but we could not use GP to remove the frame.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Matthew Fazio Tuesday, February 28, 2017 2:44 PM
    Tuesday, February 28, 2017 1:47 AM

All replies

• Thursday, February 23, 2017 1:47 AM
  • Hi Matthew Fazio,

According to your description, we could use the method in the link below to remove the logon picture and the picture frame.

http://superuser.com/questions/552743/how-to-remove-the-user-picture-from-login-and-lock-screen

Always we could get rid of the picture by the steps in the below.

Start \ search box

type group and open Edit Group Policy
    Computer Configuration / Administrative Templates / Control Panel / User Accounts
    Disable Apply the default user .....

And to get rid of the userID

Computer Configuration / Windows Settings / Security Settings / Local Policies / Security options
    Diable Interactive Logon: Do not Display last user name.

For the way to get rid of the frame, the link below could provides detailed steps.

https://www.sevenforums.com/customization/127719-removing-picture-frame-startup-login-screen-2.html

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Hope it will be helpful to you

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, February 23, 2017 7:21 AM
  • Thank you,

I've seen the sevenforums "solution" and our corporate security team would mostly likely not allow it, and the other administrators would balk at an unsupported method like this.

No way using Group policy?

Matthew J. Fazio

Thursday, February 23, 2017 9:42 PM
  • Hi Matthew Fazio,

Thank you for your reply.

Based on my search and test, it doesn’t include the GP for remove the frame. It only includes get rid of the picture. I understand your working environment, but we could not use GP to remove the frame.

• Marked as answer by Matthew Fazio Tuesday, February 28, 2017 2:44 PM
    Tuesday, February 28, 2017 1:47 AM