CorruptRegistry in Vista RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All, 

I'm trying to fix a friends old laptop (Inspiron 1525 Vista SP1) - stopped working a couple weeks ago. Out of the blue Vista wouldn't boot for her at all. The green status bar appears at bottom of screen but nothing else. Then it tries to do Startup Repair which won't work, giving following info:

Problem Event Name: StartupRepairV2

Problem Event Signature 01: AutoFailover

Problem Event Signature 02: 6.0.6001.18000.6.0.6001.18000

Problem Event Signature 03: 6

Problem Event Signature 04: 1441814

Problem Event Signature 05: CorruptRegistry

Problem Event Signature 06: CorruptRegistry

Problem Event Signature 07: 999

Problem Event Signature 08: 3

Problem Event Signature 09: RollbackRegistry

Problem Event Signature 09: 0

OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1

Locale ID: 1033

I wouldn't mind formatting the whole thing but there are important files on it which she needs. She doesn't recall any new updates/devices/software before problem started.

It will not go into any form of Safe Mode, instead going into Startup Repair each time, same with Last Known Good Config.

She had no System Restore Points and there are no backup images!

I have Vista install CD and have gone into DOS: 'chkdsk /f' doesn't make any difference either.

Last line in' ntnblog.txt' shows it loading srtsp.sys (symantec related file?) if this is any help??

Tried Diagnostics and there doesn't seem to be a problem.

What can be done please??? I am a novice so you'll have to keep answers really simple. All I need on it are her files. 

Thanks

Wednesday, August 31, 2011 11:16 PM

Answers

• ..... All I need on it are her files. 

Thanks

1. To retrieve the folders/files you could remove the unbootable drive and connect it to a different computer either internally or externally. An external connection will need an enclosure or, at least, a lead to connect it. Additionally, you may have to take ownership of the folders.

2. A better alternative is to boot from a Linux Live CD and copy the data to an existing USB disk drive or memory stick.

On a working computer, download the small Puppy Linux ISO file then burn it to a CD, here http://puppylinux.org/main/index.php?file=Overview%20and%20Getting%20Started.htm

To run it, plug in your USB drive, put the Puppy CD in the drive, restart the computer and boot from it (you may have to change a BIOS setting to boot from an optical drive). Wait a little while for it to load and copy files to RAM. When the Desktop appears, your drives will appear along the bottom of the screen, e.g. FD0, SDA1, SDB1, SR0, etc. Open both drives (with a single-click) and drag folders from one drive to the other and then select Copy. When you have finished copying, just Exit, don’t save the Linux changes. Remember to single-click folders not double-click them.

• Marked as answer by MisterMcGoo Friday, September 2, 2011 9:30 PM
    Thursday, September 1, 2011 2:10 PM