Calculator - DR site RRS feed

• Question

• Hello There,

I have encountered a situation while working on the E2013 calculator. It's DR scenario. The no of servers in Primary site is 8 and the calculator has calculated 4 server in the DR site, hence the resource for each server has increased to 96 GB RAM and 17365 MHz per server which is huge. 

I wonder is there a option on the calculator where i can define the number of server in the DR, rather than allowing the calculator to come up with a number of servers.

Friday, April 11, 2014 1:18 PM

Answers

• Well, you can use as many servers as you want in the DR center  :) 

The calculator is just recommending what you *should* have in a Site Resilient scenario. 

The calculator is really designed for you to tell it what you have and it calculates if that will work.

Twitter!: Please Note: My Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied.

Friday, April 11, 2014 1:42 PM
  • Well, I cant comment on what the calculator is telling you. At some point this presentation from MEC will be available for the public. I would watch it to assist in your planning:

http://www.iammec.com/SessionDetail.aspx?id=14154

Tame the beast. Exchange server calculator tips and tricks

Twitter!: Please Note: My Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied.

• Marked as answer by cara chen Friday, April 18, 2014 7:43 AM
    Friday, April 11, 2014 2:49 PM

All replies

• Well, you can use as many servers as you want in the DR center  :) 

The calculator is just recommending what you *should* have in a Site Resilient scenario. 

The calculator is really designed for you to tell it what you have and it calculates if that will work.

Friday, April 11, 2014 1:42 PM
  • In my scenario for a 20K seat.

I have the primary site 8 servers with 8 cores 251 Spec value - this translates into 48 GB RAM and 11687 MHz for each server.

While for the DR site 16 core 322 spec value - this translates into 4 server 96 GB !!   17365 Mhz. If i had a chance to mention the number of servers for the DR i could have brought down the resources on each server. I wonder if you have any idea if i can bring the resources on each server down.

Friday, April 11, 2014 1:56 PM
  • Increase the CPU if you ask me - the spec rate of those servers implies you are virtualizing yes? I would go physical with 20,000 users.. ( and make sure you building multi-role servers).

Friday, April 11, 2014 2:01 PM
  • this time i changed the CPU values to

CPU - 20, SPEC - 810 and  no of server in the primary to 3.  No i see the number of server required in the DR is only 2 with the same specs.

If i have to virtualize the E2013 servers, 20 vCPUs per server !!!!

Friday, April 11, 2014 2:30 PM
  • But the requirement of RAM is whopping 160 GB !!

Friday, April 11, 2014 2:35 PM
  • Well, I cant comment on what the calculator is telling you. At some point this presentation from MEC will be available for the public. I would watch it to assist in your planning:

http://www.iammec.com/SessionDetail.aspx?id=14154

Tame the beast. Exchange server calculator tips and tricks

• Marked as answer by cara chen Friday, April 18, 2014 7:43 AM
    Friday, April 11, 2014 2:49 PM