Creating a test web application of the same name RRS feed

• Question

• I am moving a sharepoint site from a 24/7 environment. To achieve this, I would like to copy the current WSS_CONTENT DB, move the copy over to the new sharepoint server as a test to be sure that everything will be restored with minimal down time. 

It is my understanding that to do this, the copied wss_content folder needs to be attached to the new sql instance of sharepoint and connected through the content database portion of Sharepoint central management. 

When the DB is added, i must then associate it with a web application. My questions are these:

1. Is it true that the new web application name\url must match the original web application name\url that was associated with that WSS_Content DB?
    2. Will this cause an issue where users are redirected to the new sharepoint 'test' web application as opposed to the 'real' 24/7 production web application.
    3. If so, is there a way for me to perform this test without interfering with the current 24/7 production Web application's availability?

Thank you very much for your assistance! :)

• Edited by cperales Wednesday, September 4, 2013 3:31 PM
    Wednesday, September 4, 2013 3:30 PM