none
Why is it not possible to sned a BMR to a secondary server RRS feed

• Question

• The last days we are testing with DPM 2012 SP1 with an offsite DPM 2012 SP1 server.

On the primary server we do BMR backups of a couple servers. I also do a back-up of the volumes of these servers. Are these de-deduplicated by SIS?

Next thing, we have a offsite secondary DPM server. I want to protect on the secondary server also the BMR backups. But I am not able to select the BMR backups. This option is not availible. Only a system state backup is availible on the secondary server. Why is this?

At last, what is the difference between a system state backup and a BMR back-up in DPM? I know that system state first makes a snapshot locally on the protected server and then copy it to the DPM server. BMR copies with Windows Server Back-up the snapshot directly to the DPM server (big disadvange not to use the DPM client in my opinion, and the entire snapshot everytime). I want to know what DPM includes in a system state because when I tested this it was trasferring 15GB between the primary and secondary server (just a clean server, without AD,DHCP,DNS etc)! Normally a system state is a couple of hunderd MB's I think?

Thanks in advance!

Friday, March 29, 2013 2:07 PM

All replies

• Hi Lucas,

<Are these de-deduplicated by SIS>

DPM don't make any Deduplication.

<Next thing, we have a offsite secondary DPM server. I want to protect on the secondary server also the BMR backups. But I am not able to select the BMR backups. This option is not availible. Only a system state backup is availible on the secondary server. Why is this?>

You should verify that you have attached a DPM Agent on Primary DPM through Secondary DPM GUI.
    Then on Secondary DPM, when you create you PG, during step Select Group Members, select your primary DPM, expand and under Protected Servers you will find your servers protected by primary DPM => Select System Protection (It will include BMR and System State)

## System State => Backup of the Operating System (Minimum size:  5/6 Go for fresh install), it could be really bigger for a Domain controller.
    BMR => Backup of System State and critical data (Minimum size: 5/6 Go + sum of critical data...)

If you want to know the size your your BMR, from an administrative command prompt on the Protected Server, type:

Wbadmin.exe start backup -allcritical -backuptarget:x:

When you select systemstate only, then windows backup will require free space on the protected machine to make the backup file.  When you select BMR (which includes systemsate), no local disk space is required as windows backup will write directly to the DPM servers replica volume.

Stephane

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties. knowledge is valid only if it is shared by All.

My DPM blog Yet Another DPM Blog

Friday, March 29, 2013 4:00 PM
  • Hello Stephane,

Thank you for you reply. I've attached the agent on the primary DPM server to the secondary DPM server. I see only system state and not bare metal recovery when I want to create a new PG on the secondary DPM server.

Friday, March 29, 2013 4:10 PM
  • Hi Lucas,

Which servers are you trying to protect with the secondary DPM ?

• Primary DPM\BMR (Including System State) ?
    • or Primary DPM\Protected servers ?
    • or Secondary DPM\System State ? (in this case BMR is not supported by design)

Stephane.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties. knowledge is valid only if it is shared by All.

Friday, March 29, 2013 4:19 PM
  • First I back-up a BMR virtual server to the onsite primary DPM server (Let's say the server name is Test01). This is going wel the backup of the Test01 to the primary DPM server. But When I want to select the BMR back-up of Test01 on the secondary DPM server there is no option to select it. I can only select the system state on the secondary server.

Wednesday, April 3, 2013 8:40 AM
  • Hi Lucas,

On your Secondary DPM server, when you try to create your PG during step Select Group Members, do you see Primary DPM\Protected servers\Test01 ?

Maybe you could copy/paste a screenshot of what you have ?

Stephane

Wednesday, April 3, 2013 8:45 AM